Chapter 16

Daniel was suspicious. He was sat in the living room, pretending to read his hot wheels book. But in actuality, he was glancing down the hallway at Alfred's bedroom.

They'd returned to Alfred's home more than an hour ago. And Alfred had shuffled all the bags of shopping into his room and hadn't come out. In his rush, he'd left the door slightly ajar.

Allowing Danny to hear whispered phone calls, tidbits of mutters and the quick tapping of a keyboard. He'd also heard a large metal noise clang and something heavy being dragged out.

Through the door gap, Danny could see Alfred pacing up and down the large room. Something was up and Danny didn't like the sound of it, whatever it was.

30 minutes later Alfred emerged, looking hot and bothered. His normally clean clothes were covered in patches of dust, and his face had a sense of aloofness in it.

"Danny, come. Let's go and make you useful." Alfred said, scratching his head. He went into the kitchen and took out two large foldable clothes baskets and then returned to the hallway where Danny was waiting.

"What are we doing?"

"Tidying up some of your studio, young man"

Danny nodded glumly. His flat was so depressing in comparison to Alfred's and it was in a shockingly messy state as well.

They left Alfred's flat and walked over to Danny's flat. Alfred pulled the keys out and entered them into the lock.

He paused and turned to Danny.

"Don't touch the alcohol. If I catch the faintest whiff of alcohol on you, boy, you won't even know what hit you, son." Alfred said threateningly. His red, exhausted face making him look scarier than usual.

Daniel nodded. "Yes Alfred", he responded, a little afraid.

Alfred turned the key in the lock and pushed the door open. They stepped inside.

This time they weren't hit with a pungent smell, but they were greeted with a lot of mess and a pile of clothes that seemed to be moving.

Both their faces dropped in horror. Danny took a step back into the hallway.

"Oh no, you don't." Alfred reached out a hand and yanked him back in.
"This is precisely why you keep things clean and tidy. Especially in a city." Alfred rubbed his head and then continued, angrily. "You're a smart boy, Daniel. You should know that London is world-famous for its vermin problem."

Alfred rested his hand on his head.

"Honestly, son, we haven't got time to sort this out right now. And we can't call someone in to sort it either because your flat looks like a hoarder's paradise. You will be evicted if they see your flat in this state."

Danny fidgeted with his fingers. He was desperately wishing he'd put some shoes on.

"Well, today I thought you could do some washing, drying and ironing. And sort some of your clothes out."

Alfred paused.

"You're still going to do that, but now I suggest you shake each and every piece of clothing out first."

Danny looked around in abject disgust. He wasn't scared of rats or mice, but he didn't want to touch them or get bitten.

"You should also collect all your shoes. They'll start chewing through them. I'd suggest shaking them out too, you may find they've found....other uses for them."

Alfred handed Danny the two baskets.

"Find a pair of clean shoes to put on and get started. I do not want to be in here long!!" Alfred barked, squeamishly. He knew full well he would immediately take a shower and scrub himself hard after being in this room.