Chapter 3

Richie isn't one to pay attention in school, everyone knows that. Usually too busy running his mouth to focus on the lesson, and yet, he still somehow manages to get good grades. His peers are baffled by this, but it makes sense to Richie. If he gets good grades, he will be something worth being proud of. He's had this mentality since the day he picked up his first book and started studying religiously.

Richie doesn't need to study much anymore, it's all already been drilled into his mind enough for him to grasp simple concepts as soon as they're given to him. However, that doesn't stop him from hanging out in the library most days. Beverly has a different lunch schedule than Richie, so instead of subjecting himself to sitting alone in the cafeteria, Richie finds solace in the quiet airs of the library. Not many kids come here, who would? Everyone has their friends to visit during lunch hours, not many people are introverts like Richie.

Except Ben Hanscom.

Richie sees him everyday, always in the same chair, but he doesn't bother going up to the kid dating his best friend. Instead, Richie keeps his head down and beelines to the very back table that is hidden by bookshelves. There's no particular reason that he avoids Ben, he just doesn't want to overstep boundaries and assume they are friends because of a certain redhead they have in common.

Today, Richie steps in and glances at the kid sitting in his usual place. He's pouring himself over a book thicker than Bev's dumb head, so Richie quickly ducks down and starts making his way to his usual table.

"Hey, Richie! Rich!" Ben calls out.

Richie stops, the hair on his neck standing up and goosebumps rising beneath his skin. He slowly turns, lifting his hand to adjust his glasses. He doesn't reply, but he does look at Ben to acknowledge he heard the other's calls.

"You're coming to Beverly's party this Saturday, right?" Ben asks.

"Yeah," Richie looks to the floor, then out the window. "Is that cool?"

"You hadn't RSVP'd, I wasn't sure," Ben says.

Richie looks at him so that the other boy can feel the guilt when he says "I didn't get an invitation. Bev asked me."

"Oh," Ben's round cheeks begin to flush red. "Do you think that she likes chocolate or vanilla cake?"

"Shouldn't you know? You're her boyfriend, for fucks sake," Richie looks away once more.

"But you're her best friend," Ben seems unaffected by Richie's cold attitude. "I trust your judgement better than my own."

Richie's jaw tightens as he grinds his teeth together, and through a clenched mouth, he mumbles "She likes red velvet."

"Thanks, you're a lifesaver," Ben writes something down on the back of his hand with a purple pen. "And ice cream?"

"Cookie dough," Richie sighs, his hands loosening on the straps of his backpack. Not everyone is out to get you, dumbass he tells himself.

"Wow, that's a contrast," Ben raises his eyebrows, and then says "She's a wild one, isn't she?"

"Yeah," Richie's entire defense falls, a small smile forming on his face as he thinks of the wild child that is Beverly Marsh. A lit firecracker of a girl. She's like dynamite. "Yeah, she is."

"Do you think that you could show up around six instead of seven? Me and the others are planning to surprise her."

"The others?" Richie tilts his head, his rough exterior hardening once again. He's reminded that this party will be absolute hell, he only knows one person there and he probably hates the rest.