Chapter 32

"You know, you could have just fuckin' called," Richie mumbles. "Didn't have to go through Eddie."

"Well, can you blame me?" Beverly Marsh asks from the living room. "You're practically attached at the hip."

"We are not," Richie scoffs, carrying the two mugs into the living room. This is the first time that Bev has properly been in his home besides the morning she barged in. With Richie's parents around, he never had much freedom for friends. Now, he can do just about anything he wants. For example, setting Bev's coffee down on the table without using a coaster. "You're a freak, you know that? Who the hell drinks their coffee black?"

"Cut the shit," Bev waves him off, propping her feet up on the coffee table. In front of them, MTV plays a Michael Jackson video that the two of them both know the choreography to. "Why didn't you tell me about Stan?"

"Stan? What about Stan?" Richie feigns innocence as he tucks his legs up into his father's recliner.

"Rich," she says flatly.

Richie shrugs, drawing the answer out as he traces the rim of his hot cocoa mug. "Didn't seem important."

"Didn't- Didn't seem important?!" She scoffs. "Jeez, Rich. It never crossed your mind to tell your best friend about whose throat your sticking your tongue down?"

Richie shrugs again, "He wasn't ready to come out. I was just respecting that."

"Right, because confessing this during a game of truth or dare is obviously the right way to come out," she scoffs. "I don't get you boys."

Richie smiles and watches the television in silence, his leg bouncing. Bev isn't angry with him, no, despite her words, she's very much glad to be sitting here with her old friend. Richie doesn't tell her that Stan has become his best friend, he doesn't want to hurt her like that. He thinks she'll figure it out eventually, or she'll move on. Besides, she said so herself. Ben is her best friend. Stan was his, but now... now it's shifting over to Eddie with the closer the two become.

"We've been going on dates," Richie speaks up. As soon as the words leave his mouth, he automatically lets out a huge grin, his face lighting up as he remembers how Eddie looked in that dusty bookstore. "We've gone on two now. Like, proper dates. Not just hanging out."

"Oh?" Bev lifts an eyebrow. "Is that what he's been gushing about lately? I knew I missed something."

"He gushes?" Richie asks.

"Oh, god, all the damn time," she rolls her eyes. "You should hear him at DnD. 'Guys, Richie said he's never seen Dirty Dancing.' and 'Do you guys think Richie looks better in the yellow hoodie, or the pink windbreaker?' He never shuts up."

Richie smiles and looks away, then says "He's a good kid. Real good."

"Are you going to ask him to go steady?" She inquires, saying "Ben asked me on the third date. You said you've been on two, right?"

Richie nods, his face flushed as he takes precautions sips of his hot chocolate. "Mhm. I wanna ask, but I'm nervous. Can you believe that? Richie Tozier is nervous."

"Not as tough as you thought you were, huh?" She laughs.

"Shut it," Richie shakes his head. "I'll ask. I just want it to be special, you know?"

"It will be, Rich. I know you, and I know you've got a heart of gold buried deep down in that cool exterior of yours. You'll make it special, don't worry," she says, then glances at the grandfather clock and lets out a silent curse. Bev stands up, gathering her bag and leaving her coffee untouched. "Fuck. I've gotta meet Ben down by Curly's. You wanna come with?"