Chapter 20

When Bill and Ben finally figure out how to get the fire started, Bev claps and cheers her boys on. Off to the side, Stan and Mike struggle to set up the second tent, and Richie wonders if he should go help them.

Eddie looks up from his book when he feels the blast of warmth hit his face, embers flying up into the air and dancing with the incoming stars. Richie watches Eddie carefully, the nimble fingertips that turn the page, and the tiny outline of his body beneath a blanket. Stan can be heard cursing from a few feet away, and Richie really thinks he should go help, but... he is admiring.

"Richie?" Bill calls, interrupting the admiring session. Richie looks up like a deer caught in headlights, but it doesn't seem as if anybody had noticed his fond expression. "Can you g-g-go collect some wuh-wuh-wood?"

"I'll give you some wood," Richie stands up, grabbing the front of his pants. He looks down to see if Eddie laughs, but instead, the short boy just rolls his eyes and continues reading.

Dejected, he nods quietly and says "Yeah. Can Stan come with? I don't want to get lost."

Stan nervously glances around, but then gives in and puts the tent rod down with an apology to Mike. Stan approaches Richie's side, his eyes cast to the ground, and then the two boy's wave farewell and depart from the campsite.

"Thought I would save you from tent hell," Richie elbows Stan's side, causing the boy to swat his arm away.

"Not my fault you and Eddie got yours set up in two minutes," Stan shakes his head, curls falling out of place and bouncing right back.

"What can I say? We're a dynamic duo," Richie grins at the mention of Eddie. It's involuntary, he can't help it.

"Right," Stan nods.

"You okay?" Richie then asks, watching as Stan bends down and picks up a particularly good piece of lumber.

Stan looks up at him briefly, then says "Yeah. I'm just... I have to share a tent with Bill."

"What's wrong with Bill?" Richie asks.

"Nothing, nothing, he's perfect," Stan shakes his head. Richie leans down and picks up a log, cradling it beneath his arm. "He's perfect. Have you ever met a perfect person? He is. He's..."

Stan sighs and sits down on the ground, dropping the wood from his arms. Richie watches him for a moment, and then without even thinking about it, he follows suit. The ground is cold beneath him, so he moves close to Stan and puts an arm around the kid to keep him warm.

"Bill's great, yeah," Richie nods. "Are you... Do you...?"

"I don't know!" Stan huffs, burying his face in his hands. With muffled words, Stan mumbles into his palms "It feels weird around him! I don't want him to be scared of me."

"Who says he would be scared?" Richie asks, then says "Stan, if you have a crush-"

"A crush? God, no, ew," Stan shakes his head. He grimaces in disgust, then looks over at Richie and exhales. His expression softens up, his eyes falling over Richie's features, and then he nods as if he's making up his mind about something. "Richie, I know that you and Ed-"

Richie waits for Stan to finish, looking into Stan's nervous eyes as if it will provoke the rest of the sentence to come right out. Instead of that happening, however, Stan pulls Richie forward by the front of his shirt and lets their lips collide.

Richie lets out a tiny yelp, placing a hand on Stan's chest and pushing away. His eyes are wide and startled, goosebumps rising on every surface of his skin. His lips feel like pop rocks, his tongue numbed to the core. What? What just happened? What is happening? What?