A Demon and A Gift

"Shamy?"
   "Aye, lass."
   " I'm sorry about earlier."
   "Nothing to be sorry for, little one. I should na' 'ave touched you without warning. You reacted badly, and I knew I messed up."
   "Yeah, about that. I owe you an explanation."
   "No, you don't. I startled you. You reacted. End of story. We've both apologized. We can let it go, if you like. I don't want to wake your demons." he said, gently stroking my cheek.
   "No, you deserve to know why I flipped out." I said, resting my hand on his cheek for a moment. "When I was young, about nine or ten, I started developing my---assets. I went from nothing to a C overnight. My step father decided they were his. He cornered me in the downstairs hallway and took advantage of his size and his status. He reached down my shirt and took hold. 'You're getting big. Those are nice. Just for me, huh?'
   "I was ten years old. I was scared. I didn't know what to do. It only got worse.
   " I got up to use the bathroom one night and ran into him. He was standing at the top of the stairs in front of the bathroom door. He only had his underwear on. He was hanging out the winkie hole. I was shocked. He grinned and, as I passed him on my way to the bathroom, he rubbed it against me. He touched my breast through my nightgown. He fixed himself just as my Mom came out. He put his arm around my shoulder. 'She had a bad dream.' Bad dream, more like a nightmare, a living breathing nightmare." I shuddered.
  "So when I touched your shoulder, your gut reaction was to run and get away." he said, looking in my eyes. "Oh, Laurie. I'm so sorry. If only I'd known, I would never have put you there." he said, rubbing my arm and kissing my cheek.
   I held him close and took a really deep inhale of his aftershave. A contented smile crossed my lips. "There now, I won't ever have to worry about you sneaking up on me ever again."
   "What's that now? How come?"
   "I know your scent now." I said, inhaling once more.
   "That's all it takes?"
   "Yes, that's it."
   "Prove it."
   "Okay, go out of the room, all of you." I said, taking a scarf from the nightstand and putting it over my eyes. They all left the room, hesitantly.
   "If she can do this, I'm buying the drinks." Colby said.
   The first man entered the room and stood by the bedside. He didn't say a word. I took a breath. "Hello, my Finny." I smiled.
   "Hello, Grá." he said, kissing my forehead. Then, he stood by the slider and awaited the next man's entry.
   He stood by the bed and waited silently.
   "Hello, Colby."
   "Hello, sweets."
   "Two for two."
   "Hello, Jeff."
   "Hi, sweetness."
   "Hello, Jon."
   "Hey, honey."
   "Hi, Joe."
   "Hi, alofa."
   "That's five for five." Colby said astonished.
   "Hello, Drew."
   "Hello, love."
   The slider door opened, and the man walked over to the bed silently. I inhaled and smiled. "Hello, 'Show'."
   "Hello, little one."
   "Hi, Mark."
   "Hi, sweetgirl."
   "That's eight. I'm screwed." Colby laughed.
   I never moved. I simply took a breath. This was a little harder, as I hadn't spent much time with him. Then, I smiled warmly and took his hand. "Hello, AJ."
   "Hello, darlin'."
   "Get in here. Don't say anything. Just stand there." Colby said, the man nodded.
   "Hello, Rey Rey."
   "Hello, mi cielo."
   "Ten for ten, pay up, Lopez. You owe us all drinks." Jon teased. "Rum, please."
   "I'll take JD, and keep them coming." Mark laughed.
   I cringed, taking the scarf off.  I said nothing. I rose quietly from the bed. I went to the door adjoining the two rooms. Each man steadied me as I made my way there. I opened the door and pointed.
   "Could you leave me alone for a little while? I have to shower and change." I said, calmly not looking at any of them.
    "No, someone struck a chord, didn't they?" Rey asked, taking my hand. "What is it, Angel?"
   I couldn't look at him. Mark came over and lifted my chin. He saw fear, hurt, and embarrassment in my beautiful blue eyes, and it hurt him deeply.
   "Okay, sweetgirl. I got it. I understand." He hugged me. "Hey, Lopez. Make mine two shots JD and the rest Coke."
   "Whatever you want, man."
   "Better, sweetgirl?" he asked, looking down into my eyes.
   "Yes, Mark. I'm sorry."
   "No, no, no. You don't say you're sorry. It's your party, and, if you don't want to deal with a bunch of drunks, you shouldn't have to. I got you. You're okay."
   "Is that what this was?" I nodded at Rey.
   "I live with a drunk and his alcoholic toy."
   "Toy? I don't understand." Rey said, as Drew joined us.
   "That's Laurie's polite way of saying 'fuck buddy' or 'whore'. She's just not one to use those words, not on a regular basis. It doesn't taste well on her tongue, does it, love?"
   "No." I said. "Now, please go so I can get cleaned up."
   "Okay, love. I'm on the other side of the door, if you need me." he said, gently kissing my lips, then walking away.  "Becky? Trin? Would you mind helping Laurie? I'm afraid she might not be able to get in and out of the shower or her clothes."
   "I'll make a deal with you, Drew. You stay and help her, and we'll keep the others in the other room. Deal?"
   "Never mind. I'll do it on my own." I said, huffing off to the bathroom.