Chapter 34

Sophie's head snapped toward Linh and her feet wouldn't carry her out of the silver, gleaming elevator. "D-did you say Keefe?" Sophie questioned.

There was no way that she had ran to Keefe's house. No way.

Linh's eyebrows crinkled in confusion. "Yeah, Why? Do you know Keefe from somewhere?" She asked.

It took a minute for Sophie to take everything in. Some strange force had been pulling her feet towards this direction. It was like she unconsciously knew that she needed to see Keefe after everything that had just happened. It was almost like the Earth was pulling her in the right direction. Like Calla's spirit was guiding her.

     "Sophie?" She snapped out of her daze as Linh called her name for what was probably the third time.

     Linh now had her hand over the elevator door to keep it from closing on Sophie, and Sophie awkwardly stepped around it, embarrassed that she had just zoned out on Linh.

     "Sorry, I was just surprised that this was Keefe's house," Was all she decided to say.

     Linh asked the same question again, as Sophie had stupidly forgotten about it. "So, you do know Keefe?"

     Sophie took a deep breath, about to say how they knew each other, when the sound of laughter filled the hall they were walking through. It had come from one of the rooms further down.

     Linh smiled and yelled, "I THOUGHT I SAID KEEP THE DOOR 3 INCHES OPEN!!" She then joined in the laughter and ran towards it.

     Sophie awkwardly jogged after Linh, trying to act like she wasn't the socially-awkward teenager she was. She grimaced as Linh opened the door to where the laughing was coming from and left her in the hall. Sophie ran to get into the room before the door closed behind Linh, and she made it in at the last second. Sadly, she stumbled into the room and fell on her butt.

     Everyone went silent as they stared at her, and her cheeks heated-up like pavement on a summer day.

     "Hi?" Was all she managed to squeak out before pulling herself up off of her Gluteus Maximus. Everyone continued to stare, dumbfounded.

     Well, everyone except Linh. She of course burst into laughter at the awkward situation. It was painful to watch. Her laughter slowly faded when she realized no one was laughing with her.

     "Um, what's up with the staring contest?" She asked to try and break the tension.

     Finally Keefe decided his mouth could work. "Well... Me and Foster know each other from school, so I was just surprised to see her here." Only then did Sophie notice that something looked different about him. His hair looked a bit off...

     Sophie started to giggle uncontrollably. She pointed at the ridiculous mop of pink on his head and fell on the ground. If it was possible to die of laughter, she most definitely would have. She tried to stop the fits of laughter by rolling into fatal position, but they kept coming. The squirmed their way up her throat and caused tears to spring in her eyes.

     The other guy in the room, who had been trying to suppress a laugh the whole time, burst into laughter and joined Sophie on the floor.

     The other two teenagers in the room stood, with arms crossed, above the two rolly-polys. Sophie tried to que Linh in, but the other girl wouldn't get the hint.

     Keefe was furious. His face was completely red, and his hair looked like it would burst into flames at any moment. "I swear... I will get you back for this Bangs Boy!"

     Linh kept looking back and forth between Sophie, Keefe, and the other guy. The poor girl was so confused. "What did my brother do?" She asked.

     "See! At least one person has the decency to ignore the atrocity that has been put in my hair!" Keefe yelled over their laughter.

     Eventually the other guy in the room pulled himself together, but Sophie still couldn't stop the shaking in her gut. It felt so freeing that she didn't even want the feeling to stop, no matter how crazy she looked. Eventually the fits faded to hiccups. She wiped her tear-stained face off and shakily got up off the floor.

     When her occasional giggles faded, Keefe asked, "I mean, I don't mind you being here, but how and why did you find my house, Foster?"

     Sophie tensed as she remembered everything that had happened that night. From the whole deal with Alvar to Mr. Forkle wanting to raid the Neverseen hideout that the Black Swan had located. She didn't even want to remember the glee in his voice when he had said that they were killing everyone on-sight. Innocent or not, they were going to die.

     Sophie willed herself not to shed anymore tears as she told him everything. She didn't even care that Linh and the Shady Guy could hear, she just needed to get it off her chest.

     But, by the end of it, Keefe was hugging her as she sobbed into his shirt, for the second time that day. She was honestly pitiful. She should've had the will-power to keep the tears at bay, but it just felt so good to finally let he emotions come through. Especially in front of someone who seemed to know exactly what she was feeling. He knew just what she needed, and he wouldn't judge.

꧁A/N꧂
     I honestly think I could've written more, but I feel like I should get some sleep. My mental health would really appreciate a good night's sleep.

     But yeah we still got more tea to spill next chapter ☕️

     Also who listens to NF? Because I'm obsessed.

~Penguin out ❤️✌🏻