Chapter 12

Sophie walked the school grounds until she came up to the massive pyramid-shaped building in the center of the school property. She entered the auditorium which was on the first level of the building. She headed to a corner to take her seat.

     The auditorium was a massive room filled with thousands of seats for all of the students at Foxfire High School. It had a huge, tall stage in the front of the room that the principal, Dr.Alina, stood on. Dr.Alina had caramel colored hair with dark-brown highlights. She wore layers upon layers of makeup on her face along with bright red lipstick. Dr.Alina looked like a movie-star that put too much effort into looking beautiful.

Sophie managed to get the seat that was exactly in the back corner of the auditorium. She usually got that seat because no one wanted to sit in a lonely corner, but occasionally some depressed kid would take her seat.

     She got out her phone and earbuds to listen to some songs by K. Sean, but then remembered what she had decided that morning. She would cherish every moment she could today. So, Sophie put her phone and earbuds back in her book bag and looked around.

     Marella was flirting with some guys on the football team in the 10th row of the auditorium, so Sophie didn't dare to go over there. She was not good at talking to guys other than Dex. If they mentioned anything even remotely uncomfortable, Sophie would start to sweat like crazy and her face would go nuclear.

     She slumped back in her chair as she realized she had no other friends at Foxfire. Then Sophie remembered that she could maybe talk to Keefe. He would probably think she was clingy, but it was worth a shot.

     Wow, Sophie thought, I'm feeling very confident today.

     So, she looked around for Keefe. She saw him stuck in a crowd of girls and her spirits sunk. He must've found new friends. But then Sophie saw the frantic look in his eyes. He definitely did not want to be stuck in that gaggle of girls. So, with another burst of confidence, she strode over to where Keefe was.

     But on her way over to him, she tripped. Sophie fell flat on her face and frantically tried to get up, but she couldn't get up for some reason. She felt a weight on her back and turned her head to see Biana standing over her with a foot on her back. Sophie was sick of Biana's constant bullying, so she decided it was time to unleash her true strength. She didn't care if it was suspicious. She couldn't handle anymore ruined clothes and hours of crying in the bathroom. Sophie couldn't be the goody-two-shoes anymore.

     She flipped so that Biana's foot was on her stomach. Then, she grabbed Biana's foot, threw her leg up on Biana's back, and pushed Biana to the floor. Biana let out a big puff of air as her stomach made contact with the ground. Biana groaned and flipped onto her back as Sophie got up and dusted herself off.

     When the rational part of Sophie's brain clicked on, she ran from the crime scene. She ran out of the auditorium in hopes of not getting caught, but she heard a teacher call her name. Sophie reluctantly turned around and hoped she wouldn't get into too much trouble.

     The teacher that had called her had raven black hair hat was swept into a tight bun. She didn't know the teacher's name, but she did not look friendly. She was giving Sophie a murderous look.

     She walked over to the teacher and they walked into the auditorium.

     Most of the kids were still minding their business, thankfully, but a small crowd of teachers and students were gathered around Biana. Biana was probably going to get Sophie into a whole month of detention, but Sophie still used the little time she had left to construct a lie that could possibly get her out of detention. If she got into detention she would never get into any good colleges. She probably wouldn't even live until college, but that was beside the point.

     They had arrived at the area where Biana was lying on the ground, still groaning. It looked to Sophie like Biana was over-exaggerating a bit, but Sophie didn't mention it.

     "Ms.Foster, care to explain what happened here?" One of the teachers crowding around Biana asked.

     Sophie cleared her throat and rehearsed her lie in her head one more time before she answered. "I honestly don't know. I was walking by and then I tripped on my feet," She blushed on que, "and then I think Biana fell on me, but she somehow skidded over me. I panicked because I thought she was going to be mad, and I ran out of the auditorium. I'm so sorry Biana, I didn't mean to hurt you." She had tears in her eyes by now. These were the times when Sophie was super thankful for the Black Swan teaching her how to properly lie.

     She mentally did a fist pump when the teachers, other than the black-haired one, looked at her in pity. Sophie didn't think Biana could out-lie her even though she was a super good lier. Most of the teachers knew that Biana wasn't the nicest. They would've put Biana in a month's long detention if she breathed, but her dad was a super famous actor that the principal had a major crush on, so they would get fired if they did. And since Sophie didn't say that Biana did anything wrong, she wouldn't get busted.

     Biana had a look of defeat in her eyes because she knew she couldn't out-lie Sophie, but she still managed to get the courage to secretly flip Sophie off. None of the teachers saw it, but Sophie most certainly did.

     After the crowd of teachers dispersed, Sophie started to head back to her seat because morning orientation was about to start, but someone tapped her shoulder. She turned around to see Keefe.

     "Foster, that was some smooth lying. Also, you totally pissed Biana off!!" He high-fived her with that sentence. "We still need to prank her, though. You still in?" Keefe asked.

     Sophie responded, "Now more than ever."