Chapter 7

Sophie sat down at the lunch table she normally sat at and got out her lunch box. She normally sat alone at her table and just did homework from her other classes. Marella would occasionally pop in and talk to her about the latest gossip, and Sophie would usually tune her out. Today, though, someone else decided to join Sophie in her lonely corner of the cafeteria.

     A tall blond-haired boy in a beanie approached her table and sat down. As he sat down he slammed his plate on the table, causing the whole cafeteria to look in their direction. Keefe just sat there, frozen, when everyone looked at him. Sophie thought his behavior was a little weird, considering how outspoken he was when he talked to her earlier that day. She didn't ponder it anymore, though, because everyone was still looking their way. After 37 seconds of awkward silence Biana came into the lunch room, talking loudly to her brother Fitz—Yes, she counted the number of seconds that went by. It was one of Sophie's many nervous habits—When Biana noticed that everyone's stares had turned to her, she flipped her luscious brown hair over one shoulder and continued to runway walk to her table. Many of the boys in the cafeteria turned away, blushing, and resumed their conversations like nothing happened.

     Sophie then looked over at Keefe with anger in her eyes. "Why would you slam your plate on the table!?!" She hissed in his ear.

     Keefe was, of course, still looking at Biana, like all of the boys. Sophie rolled her eyes. But after a few seconds she realized that Keefe looked mad. He wasn't ogling Biana, he was giving her the death glare. Keefe then muttered under his breath, while still glaring at Biana, "The nerve of that girl. Couldn't she have just moved to Minnesota like she said she would? She is so going to pay."

     "Whatever your plotting, I'm in. She's been making fun of me non-stop."

     Keefe looked in Sophie's direction and his death glare faded. It was replaced by a devilish smirk. "Well, we are totally going to have to prank the daylights out of her."

     "I'm not sure about the pranking part, but if it lowers her ego, I will most definitely help." Sophie stated. She was actually completely fine with pranking, but she had to make sure no one knew about that side of her. It was another one of Sophie's many secrets.

     "Oh—don't worry. You won't have to do any of the dirty work. From what I've heard about you, you have a very high intellect, which means that we should have some amazing ideas! I really need a partner in crime."

     When Keefe said the word crime, Sophie noticeably cringed and Keefe gave her a weird look. So, Sophie went with her greatest asset, the subject change! "Yeah, sure. As long as there is no actual crime involved. Also, what were you saying about Biana moving to Minnesota?"

     This time it was Keefe's turn to noticeably cringe. "Um... I.. Well....." Then in a small voice he whispered, "I might've known her before I moved here. Her brother was my best friend—key-word: was."

     "Um... Nice?" Sophie was at a loss of words. She had no clue how to react to that, so she just muttered, "Food—food is good. What are you eating for lunch?" Then she mentally slapped herself because she could literally see what he was eating.

     "Wow, you're the queen of subject changes, Foster." Keefe said sarcastically. He then added in a reporter's voice, "Well, as you can currently see, I am eating a turkey sub provided by the Foxfire chefs—"

     Sophie interjected his weird talk about his lunch. "You know, I don't care about food anymore. Did you ever find your way to APUSH?"

     "What makes you think that I was actually going to class, Foster? For all you know I could've been ditching."

     "Wait—Why did you ask me where your class was then?" Sophie asked angrily. Ms.Galvin had made the whispers that went through the whole school start-up again. Sophie was not just mad, but a little upset that he would purposefully make her late to class. Maybe Keefe was just like all the others.

     Keefe was at a loss of words again. "I—I—um... I just wanted to know where class was incase I didn't want to ditch one day?" He said it more like a question, so Sophie gave him a look that seemed to say "sure you did" and Keefe eventually caved in. "Okay, fine—You caught me. I just wanted to make a friend, I guess," he said sheepishly.

     She laughed evilly as if to rub in her victory and Keefe just rolled his eyes. "Oh, come one. You know I'm amazing at getting the truth out of people," Sophie said smugly.

     "Fine, I guess you are—but, hey. We can use that for our epic battle against Biana. Or maybe I should call it mission bring down Biana's ego." He looked like he was pondering it for a second. "Yep, mission bring down Biana's ego is a go. Team Foster-Keefe is gonna smash this!"

     "Seriously, Team Foster-Keefe? Is that the best team name you could come up with?"

     Keefe clutched his heart in fake hurt. "Foster, I'm wounded that you don't like our team name. If you come up with a better name we can try it out, but I know Team Foster-Keefe will be better than any name you can come up with."

     Sophie huffed out a breath and Keefe smirked. "I can come up with better names. Just give me a minute to think." She thought for way more than a minute, but she still couldn't think of anything better. With each passing minute Keefe's smirk grew wider and wider until Sophie had to admit defeat. "Okay, fine. I can't think of anything, right now. But, I will think of something way better than Team Foster-Keefe. Just wait—it'll blow your socks off!"

     Keefe messed up Sophie's hair as he said, "Sure Foster, whatever helps you sleep at night."

     After she gave him her death glare, the bell to signal the end of lunch rang. Sophie and Keefe said goodbye to each other and Sophie hurried off to her next class, agriculture. Keefe headed in the other direction to where she assumed was his ditching spot. He was probably going to plan a prank on Biana for the whole class period.