Chapter 4

PRE-WARNING: THERE WILL BE A FEW MENTIONS OF DEPRESSION/KILLING/A LITTLE GORE IN THE VERY BEGINNING OF THIS CHAPTER. (ONLY UNTIL THE ~ ~ ~)

The blood stained Sophie's tiny hands. Her whole hand was covered in it. A terrible stench filled the air, almost like everything on Earth was decaying. It made her want to throw-up. No, she needed to throw-up.

Sophie ran to the nearest wall and put her head against it. She then hurled her lunch all over the wall. She didn't care that some of it had gotten into her hair because she felt like life itself was dissolving.

The whole world was crashing down and Sophie couldn't stop it. She couldn't stop the walls that broke down. She couldn't stop the floodgates from opening. She was falling off of the earth and no one was there to catch her. No one would ever be.

She was a monster. She was a monster. Sophie would always be a monster. She couldn't seem to convince herself otherwise. Sophie had killed someone. And she had done the deed with no mercy. She shot a bullet into another human's head. The blood had rushed out and her victim had fallen. Just like her.

Sophie lay in a heap on the concrete as her eyes slowly closed. She couldn't fight the demon inside of her. It was already released. For she was a monster, and no one would understand.

~ ~ ~

Sophie woke up in a cold sweat. She thought she had forgotten, but alas she never forgot. The sensations from the nightmare had felt so real that Sophie decided she needed to check her reflection.

She walked over to her bathroom and looked into her mirror. Luckily, her 14-year-old self was staring back at her, not her 6-year-old self. As Sophie walked back to her bed she glanced at the clock.

"Shoot!" Sophie exclaimed. She had forgotten to set her alarm the night before because she had gotten back so late from training. It was five minutes before school started and Sophie wasn't even dressed, much less biking to school.

Sophie ran to her closet and threw on the most comfortable clothes she could find. She then quickly examined her hair in the closest mirror to see if it was good enough. She was surprised to see that her hair was flat and a tad bit wavy, unlike her usual pineapple bed-head hair. She then brushed her hair in 3 swift strokes.

     She ran into the bathroom to grab her book bag, speedily brushing her teeth.

After Sophie rushed downstairs and out the door, she got on her bike and rode to school as fast as she could. It took 30 minutes by bike, so Sophie had a long way to go.

     As she biked to Foxfire, she wondered where her adoptive parents were. They were usually bustling around the house at this hour.

     Grady and Edaline never asked her any personal questions, even though she had lived with them for two years. That was definitely enough time to get comfortable, but Sophie still hadn't had the courage to open up to them more. She always felt a little uncomfortable when talking to her adoptive parents because of all the secrets they kept from each other. Sophie loved Grady and Edaline with all her heart, no matter how open they were to each other, though.

     Sophie still wondered what had happened that morning. Whenever her adoptive parents went to work early they would always leave a note. Maybe she missed the note? Sophie was oblivious like that.

She pulled herself out of her thoughts as she approached Foxfire Academy (A.K.A. High School).

     Foxfire didn't at all look like a school. It had a massive pyramid-shaped building in the center that was surrounded by a castle-like wall. The inside building was the auditorium, cafeteria, nurses office, ISS room, and principal's office (basically a multi-purpose Louvre Pyramid). The walls blocking-in the center building were filled with classrooms. Foxfire had lots of classrooms to accommodate the large student population.