Chapter 1: Homerun

•Mature Content Warning•
Viewer discretion is advised!
Story covers the following sensitive topics: Bullying, Depression, Self Depreciation, Mentions of Suicide, Eating Disorders, Homophobic Slurs, Sexual Assault and Abuse.

| Haruka Inejiro |

The sharp twang of a metal bat hitting a hardball at full speed filled the tense stadium. Onlookers erupted in cheers and feet stampeded on concrete floors. Throughout the chaos, Haruka Inejiro breathed a sigh of relief. He wanted nothing more than the game to end. Haruka sucked his teeth quietly as he pulled on the bill of his baseball cap. The only sound he relished in was the distant ringing of his metal bat. The vibrating bat that stung his hands and sent vibrations throughout his entire upper body. Reluctantly, he discarded the piece of metal, making his way around the bases for a home run.

It was the semi-final game and his middle school baseball team had finally stolen the lead after 8 long innings. Haruka had never played on a proper baseball team prior to this season. He hated a lot of things. On his invisible list, in bold letters were the words commitment and the invasion of space. But, above all, Haruka hated being told what to do.

Multiple hands snaked their way through his personal bubble. Fingers were in his hair and tugging on his clothes, palms smacked his back, bum and shoulders. Haruka's heart spiked as his anxiety reared it's ugly head. His head swam with the lack of air and he immediately closed his eyes to focus on breathing. "Hey, hey! Give the man some space!" A familiar voice made its way through the teammates surrounding Haruka. "God, I know you guys hate the dude but he just won us the game."

Kono Takuya was the only reason Haruka had decided to join the team. He was both the teams  captain and ace pitcher. Haruka wasn't afraid to say that he was absolutely captivated by his best friend. Kono was a rare soul, through and through. Whether it was a spontaneous encounter or a forced situation, Kono could ensnare almost anyone he came across. Essentially, he could do anything and excel at everything. As Haruka grew alongside Kono, he witnessed a son, an older brother and a team captain. Even without trying, Kono was painfully talented in every way imaginable.

Yet, it had been a long time since Haruka had witnessed his best friend. He hoped that by joining the team and attempting to take baseball seriously, he could mend the splintered relationship. As he took in Kono's comment about the team hating him, Haruka wondered if Kono knew that he had been bullied by the baseball team. It started in his first year when Kono had first joined the team. In the years that he became a more notable member, the bullying for Haruka got more and more aggressive. They had always told Haruka that Kono was way too good for him, but only when he saw him with new eyes did he believe them.

"Good job Haru," Kono announced lowly. He placed his hands on Haruka's shoulders and smiled proudly. Haruka slipped a smile in response, his heart lifting at the sight of tousled brown hair and clear blue eyes.

"Alright!" Kono turned to the team, "let's hold them off and win the right to challenge Hiroo Middle!" The momentum had shifted in their favour. Kono only served to amplify the team's excitement and before Haruka knew it, the game was over. The team erupted into more cheers and Haruka smiled faintly as he watched from the bench. He felt oddly detached. The moment wasn't his to celebrate. As they made their way to the lineup, it seemed that Haruka's home run was already forgotten. He was being ignored again, like he had always been.

•><•

Outside the stadium, the team waited on the transport busses. The team Coach made his way towards Haruka. "Inejiro, may I speak with you for a moment?" Haruka nodded in acknowledgement and followed his coach to a secluded space. The old man looked both ways before backing Haruka into a corner, "Do you know how sexy you looked hitting that homer?"