Chapter 10: Challenge Accepted

| Haruka Inejiro |

| Haruka Inejiro |

Thick lashes fluttered restlessly as emerald eyes flickered open. A calm breeze carried fresh leaves and they danced in the sky before him. His eyes glazed over as he stared motionlessly. Haruka wondered briefly if he was obsessed with the sky, or maybe it was just the colours themselves.

—Wait, he was outside? His body sprung up from his position on the grass and he looked around wildly, trying to gain his bearings. Emerald orbs wandered down muddy pyjamas and the events from the night before flooded his brain in quick busts. Haruka winced as he stood. He hadn't meant to fall asleep. All he really wanted was fresh air and the opportunity to rid the heavy nightmare of his consciousness.

A puff of air floated in front of his lips as he released a large yawn and stretched out his arms. It wasn't the best idea—sleeping outside, but it seemed to work. Haruka took note of the thought and stored it into the back of his mind for later. He needed to get back to the dorm and sneak into the showers before anyone else. He was lucky that his body had decided to rise as early as it did.

As he walked, the sound of something heavy dragging against gravel peaked his interest. Haruka kicked at a few rocks as he changed course and wandered towards the training grounds. The closer he got, the louder the sound appeared to be. He crinkled his brows and sped up the pace.

Rounding the corner, emerald eyes took in the sight before him. Dragging a tire around the large field was Seidou's resident southpaw. Haruka didn't even know why he was surprised, it seemed like something Eijun would do. His features softened as he watched his friend kneel over, panting.

Scruffy sneakers moved on their own as he made his way into the practice area. Haruka glanced around the otherwise empty field. There was nobody else but the two of them. He briefly wondered what time it was as his eyes flicked over the second tire near the fence closest to them. He pondered on the idea for a few seconds.

Tucking his chin on his knees, Haruka kneeled next to Eijun, "What're you doing?"

Startled, Eijun fell back into his bum with a loud yelp. "HARU NINJA STRIKES AGAIN!"

He rolled his eyes but a soft smile stretched across his lips, "I was pretty loud Eijun, you need to be more aware of your surroundings."

Eijun frowned, "I AM AWARE! YOU'RE JUST A NINJA!"

"If I'm a ninja and we're friends, what does that make you?"

"IT MAKES ME..." Eijun's face changed as his mind blanked out, "....Hmmm."

"You're actually thinking about it?" Haruka teased, "I wasn't actually serious you know." But he was, he was serious about them being friends. He wondered if Eijun acknowledged it too. Was he the only one who thought that way about everyone else? His stomach plummeted at the thought. He couldn't be. Eijun was thinking about it, that in itself is a good sign.