Chapter 20: Dreams Fade Into Reality

| Haruka Inejiro |

Wind circled around Haruka from behind. Long forgotten feelings of excitement and contentment found a home in his chest. And when Tanba finished up with the final inning, Seidou's stands went wild. With that, Haruka and everyone else in the arena not only acknowledged their own win, but that Yakushi was a great team, outstanding even. With that, Haruka could hear his Ojichan's words as clear as day in his head.

"One thing could always be said about usurpers—their downfall fell into one of two categories; the mistake of underestimation or the greed of overconfidence."

The adrenaline high from their win filled the air as Haruka and his teammates made their way back to Seidou's campus. In the midst of chaos, Chris pulled Haruka aside. Still beaming from his success with the rest of the game, Haruka smiled brightly at him. Together, they lagged behind the rest of the team and bypassed the dorms. Through he hadn't spoken much to the older teen during the game, the previous awkwardness between them easily dissipated.

"Haruka," Chris started hesitantly.

Haruka turned to Chris, the smile dying on his lips. They both slowed until coming to a stop.

There was a noticeable tension that surrounded Chris. He looked uncharacteristically nervous. Before Haruka could begin to ponder the reason for the shift in attitude, his smile fell into a concerned frown and words expressing his concern tumbled from his lips.

"Everything is fine," Chris immediately reassured. However, the answer came at him so quick, that Haruka lifted a brow and concern only doubled in his expression. Chris immediately looked away. It was as if he couldn't bare to stare at Haruka for too long. A nudge of hurt nuzzled it's way into his chest.

As Chris took time formulating his words, Haruka tilted his head, his eyes darted across Chris' features. It wasn't hard trying to read his expression, but it wasn't easy either.

When Chris turned back to Haruka it looked like he had made up his mind, his eyes trailed away nervously, "—I think I... No. I know." He stood straight, eyes burning with emotion as they finally connected with Haruka's own, "I like you Haruka."

Haruka's heart simultaneously stuttered and grew in his chest. He beamed, eyebrows lifting from their confused arch. The thought that he now had multiple friends that genuinely liked him was surreal. "I like you too, senpai. You're amazing."

The sharp intake of air that followed his response led Haruka to think that he had said something wrong. A flurry of red coloured Chris's cheeks as he fumbled with his response, "Not in...You don't....Look I—"

"—Haru!" Eijun called out as he ran at full speed towards them. He waved his arm excitedly before leaping onto the blond; sending them both tumbling to the ground. Haruka groaned from underneath the pitcher, winded from his abrupt force.

"Can you believe the game we just played! We're going to be in the finals!"

"I can believe it," Haruka wheezed in exasperation. He leaned his head back onto the dirt path when it looked like Eijun wasn't getting off of him anytime soon.

"NEXT UP IS NATIONALS!" He barked out, laughing loudly. Even though he was a bit excessive in his excitement, Haruka was glad to see that his overall mood had lifted, his lips quirked into a small smile. This was the Eijun that he knew and loved.