Chapter 15

The next morning Dad and I went for a 6am run together. With our different schedules we tried to fit in at least one run together every week, so we could catch up with each other without any distractions.

"So what's your day like today?" He asked a few minutes into the run.

I listed my classes for the day, trying to keep my voice neutral when I mentioned Chemistry.

He side-eyed me. "What's wrong with Chemistry?"

"I hate how psychic you are." I retorted, slightly picking up my pace.

He didn't respond, just waited for me to elaborate.

"It's no big deal," I sighed, "We just have to do this 6 week project outside school time and I got put with Zack."

"As in the captain?"

"Yep."

We paused to look before crossing a street and then carried on.

"I thought you said he was better at practice yesterday." Dad said.

"He was, but he can just be such a jerk. He literally hates me, it's so stupid."

Again Dad just reverted to thoughtful silence, the only sounds our footsteps pounding on the sidewalk.

"Maybe he actually likes you." He mused.

I looked at him in amazement and nearly tripped over my own feet.

"Oh god, why does everyone keep saying that? There's no way."

"It's pretty common for guys to be mean to girls they have a crush on." He reasoned.

"Not in this case, okay? Anyway, I'm not his type."

He looked at me in amusement, "How can you know what his type is, you've only known him two weeks."

"Stop being so logical." I pushed him away and he just laughed, not even breaking his stride.

"Want my advice?" He enquired.

"No." I responded sulkily, knowing he'd give it to me anyway.

"For your own sake, and the whole teams, try and get to know him better at the camp this weekend." He suggested.

I said nothing, I just frowned and kept running.

"But not too well." Dad hastily added, "No funny business."

I couldn't help but chuckle. "Absolutely not."

"So how's work?" I asked, wanting to change the subject away from Zack.

"It's great. I've got a strong team, and they've been really welcoming."

It was my turn to give him the side-eye. "So are there any nice ladies in your team?"

He rolled his eyes in response. "There are two nice ladies, but you'll be horrified to know that they're both happily married."

Damn. I'd have to find him a girlfriend some other way. Maybe a mom from school?

He nudged me and grinned, "Race you home?"

"You're on."

We changed to a flat out sprint and he beat me home, as always.

"I let you win old man." I wheezed.

"Don't sweat it, you'll beat me one day." He laughed as he unlocked the door.

When Adam and Kirsty pulled up outside an hour later, I bounded down the stairs two at a time.

"Bye dad, love you!" I called as I ran out the door, feeling chipper after our early run.