Chapter 11

I was with the girls at Kirsty's house, getting ready for Brooke's pool party. I wore a burgundy playsuit over my bikini, keeping my hair down and opting for just a bit of waterproof mascara.

Becca and Rachel were far higher maintenance, both trying on outfit after outfit. Anna was just as bad, deciding last minute that she wanted to curl her hair.

Kirsty had got ready as quickly as me, and the two of us sat waiting impatiently for the others, wanting to get to the party.

"Becca, I swear, if you change your shoes one more time I'm going to kick your ass." Kirsty groaned.

Becca responded by throwing a shoe in our direction, and we both dodged out of the way, laughing.

"If somebody helped me with my hair I'd be ready a lot quicker!" Anna declared from the dressing table, struggling to hold the curling tongs at the back of her head.

Kirsty looked at me and I shook my head firmly. "Pass."

She sighed and took the tongs from Anna's hand.

"What do we think of this one?" Rachel asked, doing a twirl in a tight red dress. It looked stunning with her short black hair.

"You look amazing, don't even think about taking it off!" I cried.

"Agreed, you're ready." Kirsty said, looking up from Anna's nearly finished hair.

"Okay, screw it," Becca declared as she wandered back into the room, "I know it's a pool party but I'm going for the heels."

She held a pair of strappy sandals in her hand to wear with her gold dress that went perfectly with her curly blonde hair.

"Finally!" I yelled dramatically, throwing my arms in the air.

"We can't all be as effortlessly gorgeous as you, Martinez." Becca retorted with a grin.

"Kirsty, how much longer?" Rachel asked impatiently.

"Oh, the hypocrisy!" Kirsty shrieked in response.

Rachel smirked, "Just kidding, babe."

"Okay Alex, this is how it works." Becca announced from the bathroom whilst putting on another layer of lipstick.

"Kirsty is the mom of the group at parties because she's off the market. She's got her phone so we don't have to take ours, and if we get too drunk she loves taking care of us."

"Ha!" Kirsty interjected.

"Anna will be on the dance floor all evening, Rachel will probably be getting high in the back yard somewhere, and I will most likely be making use of one of the bedrooms."

The girls all shrugged in agreement.

"And your job," Becca continued, "Is to take advantage of your privileged position as the new girl and sample all the eligible bachelors that EHS has to offer."

I laughed and shook my head. "You're a bad influence."

"Done!" Kirsty said, placing the tongs on the dresser and giving Anna's hair a quick burst of hair spray.

"Ladies," Rachel grinned mischievously, "Let's go fuck shit up."

When we arrived at Brooke's house the after-party was already in full swing. She lived in a gated community and her huge house was tucked away from the others, so the girls told me the neighbours rarely complained about the noise.

We walked through the front door and were immediately met by a bikini-clad girl offering us a tray of shots.

"3, 2, 1!" Becca yelled as we all downed them together.