III

August, 1951

"Stop that!"

"What?"

"I can feel you're judging my driving," Maddie looked over to Jack sitting in the passenger's seat.

"I am not!"

"You can let go of the seat then," his eyes followed hers to his firm grip on the seat below him, and he immediately released it. Maddie had insisted on driving, and Jack now regretted that he didn't object. She was no bad driver; she was just... eager.

They had spent the day driving, making their way from New York City to the Kennedy Compound in Hyannis Port. Tonight was the first time they would face their families as engaged.

"You two are already acting like a married couple," Kathy said from the backseat, leaning forward to make sure they could hear her. She was grateful that she could carpool with Jack and Maddie because it meant she didn't have to deal with her parents, yet the bickering was starting to nag her. The couple had skipped the honeymoon phase and jumped straight to quarreling like they had been together for years, although it only had been two weeks since their engagement.

A few soft curls peeped out of the silk scarf loosely wrapped around Maddie's head as she tried to adjust it and then rolled down the window. The sun was beaming in Hyannis Port. The presenter on the radio had even called it the hottest day of summer so far.

"Then take a left here," Jack pointed, as his hands found their way back to the seat, but Maddie decided not to pick a fight.

Her grip on the steering wheel tightened, attempting to undermine the anxiety she felt from her feet to the very tip of her fingers as they pulled up in front of the enormous white clapboard house. Maddie had been here plenty of times, but this time it felt different. It felt like something was at stake.

Maddie pulled the car to a halt but only moved to push her sunglasses up her nose. She was frozen in place. "Aren't you coming?" Kathy knocked on the car window, snapping her older sister out of her thoughts.

"Sure."

Leaving her scarf and glasses behind in the glovebox, her hand snuck around John's arm. Her heels clicked cheekily against the burning pavement. The smell of salty ocean air made her mentally cross her fingers that they would have time for sailing one of the following days. She couldn't remember the last time she was here for pleasure and not for some formal social function.

She was snapped out of her nostalgic daydreaming when she noticed her parents' car parked out front. Ugh, they were already here. She couldn't wait to hear what passive-aggressive comment her mother had in store for her this time. Luckily, her parents tended to act more lovingly when the Kennedys were around.

"Is my hair looking alright?" Maddie ran a hand lightly over her curls.

Jack glanced over at Maddie as he knocked on the door, "it's fine."

"You could have said good."

"Fine and good are the same thing."

Maddie turned to face him, overemphasizing a confused face, "it so isn't," nothing brought her more joy than mildly annoying him.

"You two are almost worse than mom and dad," Kathy said as she exhaled loudly.

The three bickered quietly until the door swung open, revealing the gentle yet intimidating face of Rose Kennedy, "Jack!" she exclaimed as she enthusiastically embraced him. Her voice was honeyed, and the people around her always found themselves agreeing with whatever she was saying. Maddie had yet to discover the true dynamic of the Kennedy family. Though she had known Rose almost her whole life, she was still an enigma. It was a mystery to her whether they were a genuinely loving family or as vain as her own. She knew her parents somewhat cared for her; they just mainly showed it in ways that would benefit their reputation.