VIII

April, 1952

She fiddled with the ruined corners of her copy of The Stranger as she threw one leg over the other, letting herself relax on the camelback sofa. Bobby had brought her the book last time Ethel, and he came to visit. "I think you'll like this," had he said with the hint of admiration in his eyes. She had always been the one to recommend him books when they were younger. Her eyes kept gliding over the words, not taking a single of them in. She had spent 30 minutes getting through one page. Her thoughts were quite plainly elsewhere. She couldn't wait to see his reaction when she shared the news.

A couple of weeks ago, Maddie had started a new job. So far, it wasn't what she had dreamt of. She spent her days making coffee, transcribing interviews, and taking calls. She missed her old job in New York. She missed the challenges it gave her; she even missed the responsibility. Her boss, Mr. Simmons, was a chain smoker and a speedy coffee drinker, resulting in his breath that she could only imagine was the smell of pure death. But he was kind and astute, and Maddie trusted that he would see her potential in time. And it was the first accomplishment she had reached on her own. Her father hadn't urged or bribed anyone to grant her the job because, frankly, he would think this job was below their standards. Mr. Simmons hadn't even reacted to her surname being Kennedy.

"Honey, I'm home!" Jack called out theatrically as he closed the front door behind him.

Maddie ignored the dizzy sensation that spread through her body from standing up too fast and jogged to meet him. He looked worn out, but at least the messy hair and loose tie suited him.

To Jack's surprise, she threw her arms around his neck and kissed him, making him drop his briefcase. He smiled, amused and utterly enamored by her. These small gestures of passion drove him wild, and he was sure he didn't deserve her. Recently, he found it hard to be around her and do anything other than to gaze in awe when she was close to him.

"Are you feeling alright?" He laughed as his one foot helped the shoes of the other.

"Never better! I have something to share with you," she grinned, unable to hide her excitement any longer, "I think you better sit down."

Jack eyed her suspiciously, "I'm alright, just tell me what's going on."

A strand of loose hair made Maddie stroke the side of his head. Her hand traveled from his head to his hand as she guided it to her belly.

"We're gonna have a baby," Maddie stated and choked up when she saw Jack's mouth drop in disbelief. Her period was supposed to come a week ago, and the doctor had confirmed her suspicion this morning.

"You're kidding!" His whole face burst into a toothy smile, and he grabbed her face and kissed her. She felt as he chuckled against her lips. His hands stroked gently down her back as if he couldn't believe he was holding her. He broke their embrace to look her in the eyes, to make sure she wasn't playing a mean joke in him, and nuzzled their noses together again when he understood she wasn't.

"Do you know how far along you are?" He said in an ever so gentle tone that Maddie almost couldn't recognize his voice. She hadn't expected this reaction from him, but it filled her whole body with a warm feeling of exhilaration and joy. Like she mattered to him more than anything. Her eyes fluttered closed, savoring his affection.

"About four weeks," Maddie said as Jack lowered his head to breathe softly into her ear, which sent shivers through her spine, "she'll be here in November." His heavy cologne almost disguised his own scent, but Maddie still recognized it when she breathed in the smell of him.

"She?" He furrowed his brows, wonderingly.

A single but happy tear rolled down Maddie's cheek, and Jack's thumb rose to wipe it away. "Yeah, I have a feeling that it's a girl."

He chuckled softly as she buried him in her arms again. "I don't care. The only thing that matters is that our baby is healthy," he whispered in her ear.

It felt like hours had passed. They broke their embrace and gaped into each other eyes, smilingly and lovingly.

"We have to tell our parents," he said, and Maddie's rosy gaze was replaced by one of reality. "Lem, Bobby, and Ethel are coming for dinner on Saturday; we can tell them then," he continued enthusiastically.

"I think we should wait until I'm further along," she insisted, well knowing that Jack would want to tell everybody straight away. She couldn't keep herself from thinking that part of his joy was connected to his campaign. Everybody would favor voting for a family man.

"Why?"

"There is a greater risk of spontaneous abortion within the first months."

"Then how long do we have to wait for?"

"Just a couple of more weeks." A part of her wanted this to stay theirs. To her, it seemed nearly sacrilegious to involve other people in this. She wanted to have something that only they shared, and no one else knew about.

He begged her with his eyes. "No, Jack," she warned him. "And 'no' is a full sentence."

"Alright," he gave in, touching her cheek. He loathed himself for letting her presence change how he acted, what he said, and even what he thought. Usually, he would have found habitual kindness a sign of weakness, but Maddie had affected his outlook.

Maddie pecked Jack on the lips one more time and went to serve him a cup of coffee which he gladly accepted.

"So, how had your day been?" she asked, leaning against the counter of the kitchen table.

"It's been alright. I was in tiresome meetings all day, but it could have been worse," he took a big sip of the mug, "I cannot wait to go to the Senate instead."

"Jack, you realize there is a possibility that you won't win, right?" Maddie said hesitantly, "I don't mean to be cruel. I just don't want you to put that kind of pressure on yourself."

Jack looked at her. His seemed a distant sort of gloomy. "There isn't any other option, Maddie. If I lose, my father won't be capable of looking at me without seeing failure. This is what I was supposed to do," he sheepishly ran a hand through his hair.

"Honey," Maddie exclaimed, feeling sorry for him and hurried to offer an embrace.

"I don't pity me, Maddie; I like it as well. No matter how tedious the meetings, lunches, dinners, and negotiations get, I know I'm making a difference."

For a few moments, Maddie kept quiet, deep in thought. "Then we will have to win the Senate, won't we?"

Her words made Jack break his stare into the coffee mug. Maddie had been very vocal about not wanting to participate in the campaign, "are you sure?"

"As long as it doesn't mean I have to quit my job."

"Well, I've got yourself a deal, Mrs. Kennedy," Jack replied, pulling her in for yet another kiss.

As much as Maddie meant what she said, there was a tiny voice in the back of her mind that told her she would regret her promise. She tried to shrug it off by physically shaking her head, and Jack squinted his eyes at her in confusion.

Maddie waved him off, "I just felt a headache coming."

Jack moved to caress her shoulders, "C'mon, let's get you under a blanket."

Oh, how she wanted him to be everything he showed her he was, but a powerful gut feeling told her he wasn't.

Dynasty - John F Kennedyजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें