V

October, 1951

The guests thought their wedding day was beautiful, and so did Maddie for a short moment. When they had said their 'I do's' in church, they looked at each other for a long moment that seemed everlasting, and Maddie felt loved. It was not until she turned around and saw the faces of their guests that Maddie was brought back to reality and wished they could stay in fantasy for a little longer. Even just another minute of pure, deceptive happiness was enough for her satisfaction.

Maddie had worn an ivory satin gown that showed off her shoulders. It had a fitted bodice going looser over her hips and legs. Her veil was embroidered with the same rose details as her gloves that held the bouquet of white lilies and fragrant gardenias. She never thought she could feel so show-stoppingly beautiful while willingly contributing to the patriarchy. Her something old was the pearls her mother had worn on her wedding day and her mother before her. She had worn the traditional blue garter and borrowed a broch from Kathy. Maddie had forgotten entirely about her something new until Jack showed up at her house the night before the wedding with a box from Tiffany's, protecting a stunning bracelet.

Their parents saw the day mainly as a political event. Over 700 guests were invited to the ceremony, and they had sent out a flabbergasting 1400 invitations for the reception. Senators, members of Congress, and other politicians flooded the later, but only a bit smaller celebration at Ruston's summer estate in Hyannis Port, just a stone's throw away from the Kennedy Compound. Dances, speeches, flower tossing, and cake cutting all served as wonderful pictures for the press.

Maddie had a wonderful time, perceiving the day as more a party than her wedding. She met all Jack's friends who, to her surprise, were nothing near as dull as she thought they would be. The proud smiles on her parents' faces almost deceived her as it did the guests. The conversation around the table went as usual; the women gossiped, and the men talked 'business' which was just another word for gossiping.

When dessert had been eaten, and there were no traditions left to perform, a chauffeur had driven them to New York to fly to Mexico the following. They shared a bottle of champagne as well as a kiss. When Jack tried to deepen it, Maddie pulled back. She wasn't ready to be with him like that, and he respected it as he should. When they did consummate their marriage, it would be on her terms and not out of expectation.

The first five days in Acapulco were everything she wanted. Not a cloud in sight in the infinite skies and beaches so overwhelmingly lively. For the last two nights, they had stayed out for hours past midnight and talked about everything under the sun. She was beginning to understand him, the way he acted, and the way his mind worked. She liked him more for each day that went by, and sometimes it felt like her heart blushed when he looked at her.

"Come on, Jack! Is that the best you've got?" she yelled teasingly, as her hand met his bare shoulder with a harsh slap as she outran him. Their feet created a minor sandstorm, with nothing in mind besides running out the other.

The mansion they rented overlooked the sea and came with a private beach where they had spent the majority of the last couple of days.

Her feet slammed against the timber as she reached the little wooden bridge. She bit her lip, focusing on winning when she felt Jack's shoulder colliding with her own. Chilly water surrounded her body before she could realize what had happened.

"You jerk!" She hollered as she saw Jack jumping in the water at the end of the bridge, victorious.

"I'm sorry, Maggie, but the best man always wins," he laughed as he swam to her.

"If you can't beat them, cheat them, huh?"

They swam back to shore, and Jack shamelessly studied the curves of her body in the bikini, exposing her midriff as she got out of the water. She cocked an eyebrow at him as she noticed, "eyes up here, moron."

Giggling, they collapsed on their towels, watching as the sun dipped below the horizon, saying goodbye for the day. The last rays of the setting sun gave a tangerine tinge to the sky. It felt safe in their own little oasis. They functioned so well together without the pressure of outside interference.

Maddie looked through the seashells and little stones they had collected. One stood out from the others. It was larger and deep shades of coral and lilac covered its surface, "this one is for you," Maddie handed Jack the shell.

He looked at her wonderingly. Something about it made it seem like a gesture with a deeper meaning. A token even. "Thank you," he said and pecked her cheek. She giggled as his stubble scratched against her cheek. He hadn't shaved for the last five days, but she didn't mind. She liked the more relaxed look on him; it made her feel better about herself.

Maddie abruptly raised to her feet, "Come on, let's go eat." She packed all the shells and rocks into the towel, making it easier to carry, and motioned for Jack to take her hand. He did so instantly.

"But you can't cook," Jack said after a few moments.

Maddie looked at him like he had said the dumbest thing ever, "Jack, we are not idiots; I think we'll be able to follow a recipe."

"Oh, of course. Did you bring any cookbooks then?" He smirked, knowing the answer.

"Oh shut up, we'll think of something."

The kitchen was exactly as warm as the outside, if not hotter. Maddie took in the sight of him as he went to look for goods in the fridge. Jack had put on his shorts, and his loose shirt was left unbuttoned.

"We could make a salad and some steaks?" He suggested, already with two tomatoes in hand.

Maddie nodded; she exactly as useless in a kitchen as he, despite her mother's many attempts to make a good little housewife of her.

Jack stopped chopping the vegetables when he heard the phone ring insistingly. Why couldn't the real world just give them a break?

"I'll go see what it's about," he said, as Maddie noticed he went for the phone in the hallway instead of the one right beside them in the kitchen. She went back to cooking the meat and cutting the vegetables, and it wasn't until she had finished that she wondered why he was taking so long.

She set the table and served the food and an additional 15 minutes went by. She could hear him yelling in a whisper into the phone. The door to the hallway opened and then closed, and an apologetic smile plastered on Jack's face.

"Sorry, that wasn't supposed to take that long. It was just Bobby calling about some details about the campaign next year," he said as he took place before her, "you should have just started eating."

She glared at him, clearly annoyed, "I can't stand eating alone. Nothing makes me feel more lonely."

"Sorry"

"What details did he have for you?" Maddie asked as she cut the fat from her steak, avoiding his eyes.

"What?"

"What details did Bobby have for you?"

"Oh, nothing important," Jack took a sip of wine and waved the question off.

"But then why would he call you on your honeymoon if it wasn't urgent? And the campaign is what? Over a year away?"

"He must really miss me. And Bobby likes planning far ahead," Jack smiled. Maddie didn't believe one bit that he was truthful. Why did he answer all those questions so gladly? If he was telling the truth, wouldn't he be annoyed that she doubted him?

"Mmm, you did a good job with the steaks," he looked in her eyes, completely unbothered.

Dynasty - John F Kennedyजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें