Family Reunion

Theo sighed as he walked through the sandy streets of Marrakesh, Morocco. He had been here before, several times. It always appeared different, and yet deep down it stayed the same. A few buildings were replaced, some of the architecture was new. But at its core, it was still the same.
Centuries passed, but the city hadn't changed. An old friend of his would have called it the perfect metaphor for humanity.

"Theo? Are you alright?" asked a soft voice, pulling Theo out of his thoughts.

He glanced first at the delicate, slender fingers interwoven with his own rough and calloused ones, then at the mesmerizing warm hazel colored eyes looking back at him, a tinge of worry hidden in them. The same beautiful eyes that had captured his heart so long ago. The eyes of his wife, Kira.

"Yeah. I was just thinking." he answered dismissively.

"Yes, you've been doing a lot of that lately. Probably not healthy for your poor Spartan brain." she remarked playfully, a teasing grin on her face.

Theo shook his head as the same grin formed on his face.

"Whatever you say, shortie."

She pouted.

"It's been nearly two hundred years. Could you stop calling me that?" she complained.

Theo laughed and pulled her closer to him, slinging an arm over her shoulders.

"Don't worry. I love your shortness." he assured.

Kira smiled, leaning her head on his shoulder as they walked. Turns out, there were some benefits to being a bit shorter.

"Are you excited to see the family again?" she asked him.

"Definitely. I've missed them more than ever. Especially Andy."

Kira nodded in agreement.

"I hope she's feeling better now. The last few years have been rough on her." she said.

"Hey, it's Andy. She always gets back up." Theo assured.

Kira smiled. It was always heartwarming to see the faith her husband had in his friend. And even after all these years, she had never had a reason to doubt him.

Once they arrived at the hotel, they quickly checked themselves in before heading up to their room. They knocked on the door. They were then greeted by an Italian man.

"It's been a long time." the man said.

"It sure has, Nicky." Theo replied.

Nicky's face stretched into a smile as he pulled the couple into a hug. However, he had to step back as an Arab man stepped up to them and pulled them into a bone crushing bear hug.

"I've missed you!"

"We've missed you too Joe." Kira managed to croak out before he released them.

"Have any of the others arrived yet?" Theo asked once he had caught his breath.

"No, but they probably won't take too long." Nicky answered.

And he was right. Nearly ten minutes after the four of them had sat down to catch up while they waited, there was a knock on the door.

Nicky went to open, greeting the newcomers, the French man Booker and the leader of the crew, Andy. Joe followed right after, hugging Andy much like he had Theo and Kira.

"You look great." he said.

"And you look okay." she replied,

Joe laughed it off as Andy turned to face the remaining two. With a smile, she stepped up and pulled them into a tight hug of her own.

"It's good to see you again." Theo told her.

"It's good to see you guys again too."

*

It didn't take long for them all to gather around the small table they had in the room.

"I have something for you." Nicky said, handing a small wrapped package to Andy.

"Oh, Nicky."
She picked it up and inhaled the sweet smell she recognized so well.
"Mmm, baklava."

"Five hundred, Booker, Theo." Nicky challenged, placing the cash on the table.

"No." Andy immediately said.

The two men paid her no mind.

"Alright. All in. Here it is." Booker announced, placing his share of the bet on the table.

"Really?"

"All in." Theo agreed, mimicking Booker's actions.

Andy looked over at Kira, as if asking her to talk her husband out of the bet. Kira simply shrugged her shoulders. This was the first time they had been with their friends after many months. She intended to enjoy it.

Andy shook her head and unwrapped the package. She took a bite, savoring the food.

"Hazelnut, not walnut." she began listing the ingredients.
"Black Sea."

Nicky nodded in confirmation.

"Rose water. Pomegranate."

Booker began counting down with his fingers.

"Eastern Turkey." Andy concluded.

"WHOOO!"

Theo and Booker howled and laughed, basking in their victory.

"Grazie mille, Nicky, veramente. Sé molto gentile." (Thank very much, Nicky, truly. You're very kind.) Theo said as he split the money between him and Booker.

"Santa Maria madre de Dío." (Holy Mary mother of God.) Joe commented.

"Prego, prego." (Please, please.) Nicky replied, trying to spare himself the embarrassment of losing again.

"Maybe you'll get it next time, Nicky" Kira told him.

Though the grin she was failing to hide revealed she didn't believe that in the slightest.

Nicky was aware of that too, as he sat down and covered his face with his hands while the others laughed.

"Admit it, boss. You missed this." Joe told Andy.

"I did." she admitted.

There was some silence, until Booker reminded them of why they were there.

"The job, guys."

The smile fell from Andy's face almost immediately. The others quickly became wary of approaching the topic. They knew she didn't find the idea appealing.

"We could do some good." Nicky pointed out.

"Have you been watching the news lately? Some good means nothing." she replied.

She stood up and walked over to the window.

"I don't know about this, guys. We're not helping."

"We know you needed a break. But it's been over a year, boss." Kira told her.

"This is what we do, Andy." Theo added.

Andy still wasn't convinced that this was the best course of action. That anything they did would actually make a difference. But her friends, her family, were counting on her. She owed it to them.

"I'll hear him out." she decided.