chapter fifty-seven, lois & johnny talk over (black) coffee!

JOHNNY

JOHNNY.
Thank you for meeting up with me.

LOIS.
Well you did say it was urgent and quote on quote, super important Billy related talk, so not much I can do there than to show up and hear you out-

WAITRESS.
Hi, can I get you anything?

LOIS.
A black coffee will be just fine and you-

JOHNNY.
A black coffee for me too

WAITRESS.
Okay...coming right up!

LOIS.
Good choice.

JOHNNY.
You know you could've said no too, I wouldn't have held it against you. Billy doesn't even know that I am here with you, so she wouldn't have either. You have a right to move on too, Lois.

LOIS.
I do, but that doesn't mean I stopped caring for Billy. The feelings I have for her, they don't just go away. I don't think they ever will. We've been together for almost four years, she was my first everything...it's just...you have to understand that Johnny.

JOHNNY.
I do Lois, I could never disregard that fact, as I know that you are just as important to Billy, hence why I needed to meet up with you before I faced her again.

LOIS.
You need to see me? Before you faced Billy because-

JOHNNY.
I can't believe I am about to say this, but I am in love with her.

LOIS.
Oh.

JOHNNY.
Yeah.

LOIS.
Good for you Johnny, is that all or do I need to order a slice of that carrot cake?

WAITRESS.
Two black coffees for you, enjoy!

LOIS.
Thank you so much.

JOHNNY.
Wait, you aren't like...surprised or mad? I called you up to tell you that I am in love with your ex-girlfriend and ask you for advice...nothing, not even a coffee poured down my head? Really?

LOIS.
John, If I really had a vengeance for you, I would be slashing your tires right about now...not pouring some two pound coffee on your head...also why would I be mad? Billy and I are broken up, plus it's not like this is a new revelation or anything.

JOHNNY.
What?

LOIS.
You really think I didn't know this? That I just haven't happened to see how you looked at her, how you still do or the way you can talk about her to a literal stranger on the street,...she was always more than a best friend to you. You've been in love with her probably as long as I have...if not even longer...but it took me time to figure it out why you looked at Billy as if she hung up the moon and the stars. I was completely sure of it a year into dating her...more specifically her birthday party.

JOHNNY.
Oh

LOIS.
Yeah...by the way, this is some great coffee. You should try it before it gets cold.

JOHNNY.
And you never said a thing?

LOIS.
How could I? I'm not a cold-hearted person you play me out to be...

JOHNNY.
Lois, I never said that...

LOIS.
You don't have to say it, for me to notice how you or your sister look at me.

LOIS.
Those were your feelings John, as much as I didn't necessarily enjoy you being in love with my girlfriend, there wasn't much I could do...well except for keep you apart, which I managed to do for the next year and a half of our relationship. As selfish as it may sound, I was scared. I never hated you, I don't hate you now, if anything, I was threatened by you. We were fifteen, we were kids...we still are and no matter how hard I tried, I always felt as if you were one place up in her eyes.

JOHNNY.
Lois, I never knew you felt like this, I never thought of it like that-

LOIS.
I mean, how could you? It's not like we were friends or anything.

JOHNNY.
But we could've made it work, we could've tried, if anything, for Billy's sake.

LOIS.
What's done is done, John...what we can do is go forward from here. For Billy's sake if you will. I don't hate you Johnny, if anything, I think you are a cool guy and that we could be friends.

JOHNNY.
I don't hate you either and I think we could work on that, the whole friendship thing...that is if you want to?

LOIS.
Of course...Also, hear me out Johnny...from this point, as we are moving forward, if you plan on telling Billy how you feel, now is your moment...cause life, it doesn't wait.

JOHNNY.
Are you happy right now Lois? Do you regret...breaking up with Billy?

LOIS.
I'm working on it...but as of lately, I am. I've gotten a couple of editorial job offers and things with Ollie...are going great. He's lovely.

LOIS.
Johnny, I will always have a love for her..but we broke up for the right reason...things just weren't working out, we both had a completely different future in mind and neither of us was willing to compromise and meet in the middle. We've been holding each other back for a while...Billy wanted to move out of UK, but was scared of leaving me...I never dared to apply for a job at the newspaper, because I didn't want to leave Billy alone...and that isn't good, that should've never happened.

JOHNNY.
I-

LOIS.
That doesn't mean you two won't work out...we are different people John, we want different things in life...but you'll never know any of that unless you stop trying to find excuses to avoid her, get out of this coffee shop and talk to her.