x. FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL = POISONING THE STUDENTS?

" iii. THE WEAK WILL SUFFER. "

   THE HALLS were filled with students as everybody made their way to their classes

THE HALLS were filled with students as everybody made their way to their classes. Vera had already been introduced to Poisons and study hall, something she considered dangerously fun. What can you say? The girl's a troublemaker.

   Vera made her way into Black Arts AP, something at first glance she thought was just to stop talking about old white guys who ate paint and harassed woman and other artists who weren't appreciated. Turns out, it's not. Currently, Willie, who Vera found out was the leader of his own pack, was giving his talk about the dude he killed.

   "So, I got this dude's name from a homeless lady. He was collecting memorabilia, like we learned in class. So I waited for him, crept up on him. This dude, he was about to stab me with a screwdriver." Vera was half way through with carving 'QUICKSILVER' into the desk when she turned to Marcus, who was looked a mix of pissed and tired.

   "And I found this pipe," Willie continued, "I crushed that fool's head in. Dumpstered the body, set it on fire, and got out of there." He concluded.

   Marcus was focused on clenching his fist to contain his anger, flinching as he saw Vera's hand on his shoulder. "What?" He whispered harshly, not intending to sound so rude.

   "You look pissed. You ok?" She whispered. Marcus nodded, focusing his eyes back to the front of the class. Vera backed off, not looking to cause a fight in somebody she thought could be a good potential friend.

   "70% of soldiers don't pull the trigger in battle, no matter the stakes. The weak always choke in the face of killing. With fear of expulsion, all your hopes and dreams, all of your family expectations, only one of you can do it. So we'll have a new test," Master Lin slammed his cane on a students desk, "A final chance to prove your worth. Survive, and you earn a place here. Fail and you die. The weak do not belong in my school. Go, get out of my sight."

  Students shuffled out, "Willie, Vera. Stay." Master Lin said, and Willie gulped. Vera put two and two together. Marcus' anger and Willie's nervousness. Willie didn't kill the guy, Marcus did. "Seeing as you weren't here for yesterday's assignment, Vera, i'm granting you a pardon. Do not expect this to happen again."

   Vera nodded, the two students heading over to see what was happening on the camera. They were being given poison gas. "Is this even legal?" Vera asked, despite knowing the answer.

   "No, but neither is running a school for children to become assassins." Master Lin replied, and Vera grew worried for her friends. Marcus picked the lock with ease, and soon they were faced with monks.

  Seya was able to defeat them, being the badass she is. Vera admired Seya, how she made people respect her and others fear her. Vera had been here a day and only managed to piss off a Russian and get a cool roommate. One of them was a plus. Two students didn't make it into the other room, and Vera's heart dropped.

  They were going to die. There was nothing Vera could do about it, and her brows furrowed as Master Lin carelessly moved onto the next security camera, not caring for the students that just died on his hand. "The weak do not belong," Master Lin repeated, "You are not the weak, Vera. Or are you?"

   "No, sir." She shook her head. "It's just been a couple years since I've ran with these crowds. Y'know, killers." She said, watching closely as they passed out right in front of the antidote. Maria, luckily, grasped onto the antidote, putting a leaf in everybody's mouth. She hesitated at chico, something Vera noted. She always kept bad tabs on people in case they decided to act like dicks to her so she could give them what they deserved.

  Everybody was treated, mascara and blood dripping from them.

——

   "Come on everybody, vote Shabnam for president! I will win whether or not you vote for me but I'd really like the support!" Shabnam said enthusiastically, only to get a trash can put on top of him, thanks to Viktor. Vera cringed, pulling it off with Marcus, who was covered in blood.

  Shabnam brushed it off, "Thanks."

   "No worries." Marcus replied.

   "Uh, Shabnam." He stuck his hand out, Marcus shook it briefly. "Rock out the vote." He said, giving Marcus a cassette. "And one for the beautiful lady." Vera grinned, accepting the cassette.

   "U2, White Snake, Banana-bloody-rama, and Def Leppard. Sweet Lord Jesus." Lex exhaled, reading the artists off of the cassette. "Please do not tell me you took one too." Lex turned to Vera.

  She held up her cassette with a grin. "What happened to the kids that didn't make it through?" Marcus asked, dejecting the cassette conversation. "Are they-"

   "Dead?"

   "Nah, gothic oompa loompa monks revived the losers and and whisked them back from whence they came." Billy said, snatching vera's cassette and reading it. The Hispanic girl was in between Marcus and Billy, Billy had instantly accepting the girl into their group, excited to have someone else be apart of their "Rat pack".

   Vera had toned out of the conversation, getting out of her staring contest with her food as Billy nudged her. "Any of you see the new Spuds Mackenzie commercial?" Shabnam sat down, it was obvious he assumed Vera and Marcus were his new best friends.

   "You two brought a plague on our house." Petra glared.

   "You know, I hear they don't really give that dog beer. PETA or some left-wing baby would complain." Shabnam says, making Vera's eyebrows rise. Note to self, do not discuss ideology or political alignment here.

   "Do you know what goes great with people who love beer commercials? A bullet in the box." Lex groaned, turning to Vera. "Can I have that?" Vera nodded, making Lex grin as he took some of her food.

   Marcus slid his own over to her, listening to Shabnam. "Anyway, Marcus, pretty lady," He turned to Vera, whose eyebrows raised at the name, "My parental units are going to be out of town, so me and the crew were thinking of firing up the Commodore 64, a little "Castle Wolfenstein", a charcuterie plate. My dad prob left some Amaretto too, if we wanna get a little cRaZy."

   "We're in." Marcus said, obviously needing some drugs.

   "Come again?" Billy choked on his drink.

   "School is dry." Marcus stated the obvious, "Something's better than nothing."

   "My dad was clear," Shabnam was trying to not let them come. "Just a few friends."

   "You can't win an election with just a few friends." Billy said, the others agreeing.

   "Pretty lady?" Shabnam turned to Vera, "You in?"

   Vera shrugged, "Why not?"