x. THE DANCE.

" vi. BLOWDARTS & RED STAINED DRESSES. "

   THE THEME was under the sea, something Logan either ignored or completely missed

   THE THEME was under the sea, something Logan either ignored or completely missed. He had bought vera a light pink dress, it hung over her body nicely but it didn't fit the whole purple and blue theme. "They're staring," She muttered to Logan, who marched her with a light pink tie.

   "Let them. Then, they know I have the prettiest date," very laughed. "Seriously! I do!" He flattered her. "Come on, let's dance." He twirled her, making her yelp in surprise. "You know, Quicksilver, if I'm not mistaken, I'd say you enjoy my presence."

   "Please, you're just a shield." She joked. "If I hadn't agreed, the whole barbie squad would've been on me." She was dipped down. She caught Petra's eye, giving her a thumbs up. She was brought back up, spinning once more into his chest. "See? Shield."

   Logan laughed at her antics. "I'm surprised you agreed, actually. What about your friends?"

   "They can manage. I'm not their lifeline." She brushed it off. Logan held her against his chest as Brandy walked onto the stage.

   "Listen up, everybody. Y'all might know her as the dark cloud that haunts the halls of King's, but tonight, thanks to the lovely ladies of the cheer death squad, she's gone from wasteoid to.. passable." Petra was forced into the stage, wearing a platinum blonde wig with a fluffy yellow dress.

   "I'm going to kill that cousin fucker fascist." She turned to Logan, "I swear to god, if you had any part of this—"

   "Easy, tiger. I'm just as shocked as you are." He looked, "She's running out. I'll stay here, you go." Vera nodded, running into somebody and staining the dress. She internally groaned, it had to of been an expensive dress. She followed Petra out, weaving through the crowd and out to the roof.

   "Jesus, what happened?"

   "It's my own fault for being a charlatan, right?" She took the joint, inhaling.

   "Oh, so I'm the asshole somehow?" Billy retorted.

   "This isn't about you, Billy." Vera spoke.

   "Like you're any better." He scoffed. Billy paused, regretting his words to his friend and his crush. "We were just messing with you before. It's normal to want to be apart of the normal world, but it's easier when you accept that your not apart of it."

   "Stop. I'm not gonna let them rent space in my head." She spat. "You should go back to the dance. Be normal while you can." She nodded to Vera.

   "My date let me go to you. If my dear Petra isn't dancing there then I don't want to dance there." She smiled.

   "Jesus, did you kill somebody?" Billy asked, pointing to the dark red on her dress.

   "Unfortunately, no, I just got wine spilled on me after I rushed out. Looks pretty badass though, right?" Marcus devised a plan, and let Vera try to usher Logan out so he wouldn't get targeted.

   "Hey, I thought I told you to go spend time with your friends." He smiled at willie, dismissing himself from their conversation.

   "Yeah, yeah. Um, let's get out of here, kay?" She spoke too soon, a blow dart going into Viktor's neck. "Now!" She led them into a deserted corner, Brandy being the next target. Blow darts flew across the room, sticking to others as Lex spoke over the microphone.

   Chico caught sight of Marcus, throwing the stick to the side as he began to rough him up. "Leave, now."

   "Not without you."

   "Oh don't give me that love bullshit, go!" She pushed him through the gym doors. "Hey, Chico! Let him go." She got into a fighting stance.

   "You should know im not afraid to hit a woman, puta." He swung a fist, which Vera narrowly missed. The girl dropped to the ground, kicking his legs. Willie pushed Chico off of her, scurrying Vera back behind him.

   "Step off," He said, throwing his toothpick. The two began to trash talk each other, and Vera made her way over the Marcus, helping him up.

   "You okay?" He asked her.

   "I think I should be asking you that," She chuckled. "I'm good. Are you good? He got you good."

   "You can stop saying the word 'good' now. I'm alright." He stood, shaking the nerves off of him. Chico slapped Willie, although Master Lin had gotten there right when it happened.

  He took the staff to his legs, knocking him down. He stopped just short of his neck, "This dance is over. Everybody return to their rooms." Marcus and Vera sighed, Vera helping Marcus with his slight limp.

   "Shabnam as a roomie? Total loss, man." She tried to lighten the mood. She opened up his door, setting him down on his bed as she grabbed him some pajamas.

   "Why are you taking care of me?" He asked. "I'm not a child."

   "Just because we're the same age doesn't make us incapable of caring for one another, Marcus. We're humans." She handed the pajamas to him and let him change in the bathroom. Vera looked through his cassette collection, landing on The Smiths. She smiled, putting it in as 'Charming Man' took over the dorm.

   Marcus leaned against the now open bathroom door, freshly changed. "The Smiths?"

   "Well, I know how much you love them and their bravery." She teased, flopping onto his bed. Marcus crawled up next to her, looking down at her as he leaned on his side.

   "Stay the night." He said, making Vera open her eyes and look at him. "Seriously. I'll dance to The Smiths for you and you can sleep in my bed."

   "What if Shabnam comes in?"

   "I'll leave a sock at the door," He smiled cheekily, seeing her nose scrunch up in distaste. "I can take the couch, no worries."

   "Fine. But if I'm staying the night, you're sleeping in the bed too. I won't deprive you of this comfy mattress."

   "Oh, thank God," He breathed out, standing up and grabbing a sock from his dresser, wrapping it around the outside of the door and locking it from the inside.

   "Vera."

   "Hmm?" Marcus hummed.

   "My real name is Vera." She turned to her side.

   "Woah, am I the first to receive this information?" She nodded. "I feel so honored." He bowed, landing on his knees right in front of her.

   "Dork," She smiled. The two leaned into one another, lips brushing just like before. A knock sounded, the two jumping away from each other.

   "MARCUS!" Shabnam. "CAN I AT LEAST GET NEW CLOTHES?"