two

Dilynn

THE SALTY OCEAN SPRAYS MY FACE, WHIPPING MY HAIR BEHIND ME. I lean my forearms on the railing, enjoying the night air. Enjoying the quiet night. Most of the crew sleeps, and so does our group. I highly doubt my King has gone to sleep though. He remains awake all day every day. Three weeks we've been on this ship. Sailing home. Back to Llyria, where we will begin everything. Begin the long and tiring plans that will bring the twins and General Landon back home. King Kamolinn still plans, he spends his time holed up in his suite, he comes and talks to us occasionally, telling us what he's discovered—what he plans to do next. What he plans to do with me. I am to go to my father, tell him High-King Kamolinn is in need of his Hunters. My father will not refuse, I will not allow him. I will march into my family's manor and demand an audience. Or so I keep telling myself. We had gotten into a fight before I left for Lodashine, he hadn't wanted me going. Told me it was too dangerous. Reminded me what Boundlings thought of us. I did not believe him.

And how wrong I had been.

I stare out into the dark blue ocean, in the distant I see a ripple. Something bobs above the water, I squint—attempting at a better look, but it's already gone. Sinking straight back down into the water.

Something taps at my shoulder. I whip around, only to see Shann, arms crossed over his chest, staring at me. I sigh through my nose and turn back around, I don't need to wonder if he'll stand beside me, because he already is. Leaning his arms over the metal railing. Silently staring out at the sea. He doesn't say anything, simply offers his presence. These weeks in knowing Shann I've realized he's a man of few words—talks only when it is necessary. Or when he's angry and spilling everyone's secrets. The spymaster, indeed.

He's been an unlikely companion; someone I had not guessed would be pleasant to me. If anything, I had assumed he would turn his nose up at me. He seemed very old school, but he proved me wrong in every way. It was good, well— I never like being wrong, but I was glad to be proved wrong about this.

Irina keeps watching me, eyes always narrowed. Warily. She doesn't trust me, fair enough. But I don't plan on doing anything to Shann. Sure, he's a rather attractive man, but we're companions. Travelers. I wouldn't even really call us friends; we talk every now and then but that doesn't mean I want to jump on him and lick all of his skin. I'm not an animal.

"Shouldn't you be sleeping?" I ask him, after a couple of minutes of silence. Shann looks at me sidelong, giving me a knowing look. I could ask the same about you. His eyes seem to say. I exhale through my nose and draw circles on the metal railing.

My stomach curls with dread. I've been terrified to face my father. Still am, but worse now that we're nearing Llyria. Meaning I'll have to speak with him. I will, it's bigger than me and my pride to not speak with him. But it doesn't mean I have to like it. Not at all.

"Are you worried," Shann asks from my side. He doesn't look at me, he keeps his gaze ahead.

"Worried about what?" I know exactly what, but saying it out loud . . .

"Being back home, seeing your family—your father."

"I shouldn't be,"

"But are you?"

I nod, "I am— I am worried."

Shann is quiet, I take his silence to watch the ocean. The dark blue sea ripples, sending circles far out. Nothing seems to stir underneath the water. No fish, no life, nothing. It's a bit unsettling, thinking that there is nothing swimming near the surface. That the ocean is so deep and vast that the fish don't need to be near the top.