fifteen

Jill

THE PORTAL CLOSES BEHIND ME AND WARREN WITH A LOUD WHOOSH. The cold wind whips at my face, blowing my hair all around me. I shiver, as a new wind starts up again. God, I did not miss this. Winter is more manageable than the heat, but that does not mean I enjoy it.

Welcome back to Canada.

Warren steps up to my left and puts a warm arm around my shoulders. I lean into his warmth, he's like a furnace. No matter what season it is, he's always so hot. I rest my cheek against his chest and mentally prepare myself for the shit storm I'm going to deal with when I get back home.

We've concocted a plan. Kam is to stay in Llyria, while he resides in his castle. Gossip will circulate through Llyria that their High-King has returned home. Soon enough, that news should circle back to Moriella—and hopefully, Lodashine. While he sits on his throne and plays the ever charming "Cruel King" role; Royal and Eden will go back to Lodashine in hopes to liberate Prince Lawrence. Originally, I was to go with them—for Honour—but Warren refused to go without me, he insisted on coming. He was overbearing and ridiculous. But later I understood. He spoke with me, told me his fears. Fears of losing me. I didn't fight him after hearing his choked pleas to take him with me. I understand his abandonment issues stemmed from his mother leaving him and sending him to the mortal realm, it breaks my heart that it still haunts him.

So, we had to change up the plans a bit. Warren and I would go back to my world for a day—gather what we need—and head to Lodashine with the portal in Toronto, which is convenient considering I live there. Warren and I will meet up with Royal and Eden and go into the castle. I'll have to convince Honour to not kill the Prince. That should be fun.

And so, here we are. Ontario. In February. Lord help me not freeze to death.

I take a deep breath and pat Warren's chest. "You ready?" I ask, peering up at him. His other arm wraps around me, he twists so I'm now in front of him. His hands settle on my hips, his fingers lazily touching me.

"I'm ready," he answers, smiling faintly. His right hand slides up my body, I get shivers—and not from the cold. His hand cups my cheek, his thumb sweeps across my lower lip. "Are you?"

Great question, buddy. Honestly, I'm fucking terrified.

"Yep," I tell him instead, pasting on my brightest smile. "Super excited to kick-ass and all that jazz." I waggle my hands in the air beside my head. Okay that was lame, but I can't afford to be nervous right now. Kam is relying on me, so is Royal, and Eden, and Shann, and Irina, and Clementine, and Prince Lawrence's life hangs on a thread until I come barging into the castle to grab my murderous, vengeful, best friend and high tail it out of there. I'm not ready for any for this. But I have to be. Because there is more at stake. Four lives. Three trapped in mirrors, and one Prince who has the incredible misfortune of existing.

Warren stares down at me, his eyes working out some problem. He knows me well, my original plan of lying to him crashes to the ground. I pat his cheek lightly, "Really, I'm fine. The jazz-hands were a bit much, but I'm a little nervous. I don't want to be too late; I don't want the others to hate me if I'm not fast enough or if Honour does something—

"Fuck 'em," says Warren. "Who cares what they think? They aren't our friends, and you're helping them. You didn't have to do that; you were being nice and offered assistance. Also, if Honour does end up killing the Prince—when did that ever become your fault? She's an adult, she makes her own choices. And if they hate you because she killed him, I'll knock their teeth in."

A shaky laugh escapes my lips. "That's a bit excessive," I tell him, leaning into his body. I lay my cheek on his chest and just breathe him in. My heart starts to relax. He's somewhat right and somewhat wrong. It's different for me, I care what they think about me, I hate it when people dislike me or I let someone down. Warren doesn't care, he's never needed someone before, I on the other hand . . . I need people in my life. It's what keeps me sane. But I do understand that sometimes, someone is just not going to like me. And there is nothing I can do about that.