five

Honour

"DIA AND ALASTAIR ABEL?" The priestess calls from her office. Alastair and I look at each other before rising as one and walking over to her awaiting door. My limbs are stiff and sore as I stand but I force them to rise. I was right, the voyage to the castle was awful. My legs burned with every step and I'm pretty sure I may be getting saddle sores. I wipe my sweaty brow on the back of my arm before gesturing for Alastair to go through first. He wipes his sweaty palms on his pants before walking through and to the awaiting seat in front of the priestess. Stepping into the room, I nearly curse.

It's so gods-damn hot in this room. I hate Lodashine. I hate their monarchy, and I hate their heat. It has no reason being this hot, this country puts Pickini to shame when it comes to the warm temperatures. I really want to go to Durmine now.

The priestess smiles at me, her golden skin gleaming in the rays of sunshine pouring through the floor-to-ceiling windows. She sits behind her wooden desk with her hands clasped. Her robes lay gracefully around her wrists. White cloth spilling onto the desk. The old priestess keeps her hood on. Resting atop her golden-brown hair.

"It takes a while to get used to the weather," she says to me. "We have air filters running through the castle, curtsy of Eteri and his children," I keep my sneer inside at the mention of the God of Wind. "But in some of the older buildings, it doesn't reach as well. My office is one of them, unfortunately. But I'm only ever in here when I am reprimanding someone, so you won't have to deal with it for much longer." She finishes with a warm smile that has Alastair smiling back.

"The summers in Pickini are always hot, but never have they been this hot in winter," Alastair replies.

She nods, "It's because we're so close to the water. They also say this was Tesni's original birthing place. Made in the very earth here. They say she was made in the sunniest and warmest province and when she was made her essence and warmth seeped out into the grounds of Lodashine."

Alastair inches more forward in his chair, clearly interested. "What about the other gods?" he asks eagerly.

The priestess laughs at his eagerness. "You'll learn later," she says warmly, like a mother smiling down at her child. It has my jaw clenching. "Right now, we need to get you sorted, and I need to talk with your sister."

Alastair turns in his chair to look at me. I nod at him. She wants to discuss his fee, no doubt. Alastair turns back around and smiles again at the priestess. The priestess stands up from her desk and walks toward the door, her white robes moving with her. She calls for someone. A boy around Alastair's age, dark-skinned. Short, cropped hair. Sea green eyes that take my breath away. I forgot that Lodashiners mainly have sea-green eyes. It's their country trait. Eyes to match their seas.

She places a hand on the boy's shoulder. "Dominic will be rooming with you; he'll show you the ropes—get you accustomed to castle. I think you two will get along nicely." She says to Alastair.

Dominic waves at my brother, who just stares at him. A little entranced by the boy in front of us. I kick Al in the shins, which has him yelping and glaring at me. I give him a pointed look and he sobers. He rises from his chair. Finally remembering his manners, he introduces himself to the young boy.

"Hey, I'm Alastair." He sticks out his hand, Dominic shakes it firmly, his face lifting in a warm smile.

"Dom," the boy introduces.

Alastair turns to me then, "This is my sister, Dia."

Dominic waves at me. "Hey, nice to meet you."