6

We weren't allowed visitors, instead we got shoved straight onto the train. As soon as we stepped into the dining cart Trent let out a low whistle. "Damn, they really went all out".

I nodded. Multiple tables stood before us covered in food and alcohol. Trent sighed and walked over to the alcohol table. "I sometimes tip his liquor down the drain but I doubt there's a drain that'd swallow all of this".

I rubbed the back of my neck and sighed. Trent is still pissed at Blight. He's such a laid back guy but I know him well enough to know that he's hurt. "Maybe we can hide it?".

He smirked up at me. "Worth a shot".

It was a good distraction at least. Something to keep our minds off our impending doom. We both paused when the train started moving. I've never left my District before. It's all I know. We both stood shoulder to shoulder while we watched the trees fade away.

Trent smiled and patted his knees. "Come on Vicks, Where can we hide this bottle?".

Instantly I felt like that six year old girl that relied on Trent to get me through life. To distract me from our parents and problems. I don't think he's ever stopped being that brotherly figure. Knowing when to distract me and when to keep his mouth shut. I guess we know each other so well we don't even have to think about doing it now.

I pretended to mock think. "Hmmm, perhaps we could even try pouring it out the window".

He winked. "It's like you read my mind".

I grabbed another couple of bottles and stood next him while he attempted to open it. I snorted. "Don't hurt yourself".

He flipped me off before turning back to the window and frowned. "I've never seen a lock like this. I don't think I can pick it...".

I tipped my head in confusion. "Since when can't you pick a lock?. I thought you could pick anything".

He shrugged in a mix of frustrated disappointment. "Bit hard to pick a biometric scanner, Vick".

I smirked. "A what now?".

He gave me a 'really' look. "It's a biometric scanner...". When it was clear I wasn't getting it he shook his head and bumped my shoulder. "Finger print scanner".

I nodded. "Oh"

He was still inspecting the lock and I rocked back on the balls of my feet. "Whose fingerprint do you suppose it is?".

He tusked and blanched. "Probably Clement".

Speaking of Clement, he chose that exact moment to walk in with Johanna and Blight in toe. They stopped and stared at us as we held multiple bottles of alcohol.  The both of us frozen by the window with alarmed faces.

Clement looked at us disapproval. Johanna tusked in my direction in what could only be disappointment. "You better not of had any of that".

She indicated to the three bottles I was holding and I carefully placed them on the ground next to Trent's feet. "Course not".

She eyed me up and down and I had a overwhelming suspicion that she didn't believe me. Trent put his hand on his heart and raised the other to the roof. "Believe it or not, but it was all me. I'm now...". He paused for dramatic effect. "An alcoholic". He said it like it was the most scandalous thing in the world.

Johanna smirked and rolled her eyes. "Ha! Now that I do believe".

Trent winked at me and I smiled slightly. Blight wobbled and gave us a thumbs up before sitting in the nearest couch. 

Clement seemed unsure of what to do. We're adults but still tributes. He looked to our parents and then back to us. It's not like he can oppose Johanna and Blight. Not only are we they're tributes but they're also our parents. He nodded in fake happiness. "Right, why don't you two get settled and then we can all watch the reapings together!".

Trent made a face. "Pass".

I instantly giggled only to be cut off by Blight throwing his glass across the room. Trent went rigid next me and I heard him inhale just a bit more then he normally would. Blight stood and wobbled a finger in our direction. "Why don't the two of you stop messin' ab'ot and do what we say so you live to see another fuckin' day!".

The two of us stood in the silence that followed. Even Clement looked like he'd pissed his pants. I watched as Johanna sighed and pushed Blight straight back down into his chair like it's second nature. She clicked her tongue in our direction. "You two go and clean up. We'll all watch the reapings later tonight".

Trent nodded at her and grabbed my hand to wake me up form whatever that was. Together we walked out of the dining cart. As soon as the automatic door shut behind us, Trent turned and kicked the wall harshly. "I hate him".

I opened my mouth before I closed it again. For once I was unsure of what to say.

Dinner was completely silent, no one spoke. Except for Clement but he soon stopped after it became clear that no-ones in the mood to say shit. What I did find funny was the big roll of sticky tape that Trent had shoved in his pocket. Where he found it, I have no idea but I know he's new goal in life is to get a copy of Clement's fingerprints by the end of the night.