34

"...Three!"

Run. Stay low and fucking go, go, go!.

I could hear the sound of arrows whizzing towards us in our crouch weird run. Trent was in front while Liam and I were basically only a foot behind him. We'd turned back slightly only to find both Terrance and Poppy, armed and aiming. Hence the foot of distance. They aimed low but we couched lower.

Running straight, running diagonally or in Trent's case just spastically going for it. The door...just get to the fucking door!

Eventually the arrows stopped but the twins sprinted after us. As if deciding shooting running targets in the long grass was too ineffective.

So then, it was a race to the door and Liam was right we have the head start. It might just pull the odds back into our favour. All that time they'd spent aiming meant it's added time for them to catch up to us.

After twenty minutes like a miracle there stood the lone white door in the middle of the savanna. The sun setting behind it as if to showcase the miracle that is our way out.

Thunder.

Thunder.

And Thunder.

In the field we mindlessly followed Trent. He skidded before running dead straight from arena Sixty-Three to arena Seventy.

Trent kept running releasing more thunder into the field. Right on his heels I kept pushing along only to find resistance in my hand pulling me back. I turned to Liam in panic. "We have to keep going!".

His eyes hardened on the number seventy before they met mine. Gorgeous sea green eyes showcasing vulnerability. "I'm not going in there".

I closed my eyes and exhaled. Of course, Annie Odair. The parent Liam actually loves...and this is the arena that destroyed her. I bit my lip. "I have a plan, we'll make sure they see us run through it and we'll hide behind the door way. As soon as they enter we'll roll out from the other side of the door and stab them in the back". I met his eyes with a small determined smile. "We'll be in and out, I promise".

He bit his lip while his eyes flickered from the door to me. "Okay, in and out!".

Just as he said that the twins entered the field and I didn't waste a single second before pulling Liam into the seventieth arena. 

As soon we entered we spun around and leant against the door frame with our axe and trident ready. We stood, we panted and we waited. I could hear footsteps before...

Thunder followed by thunder shook the arena.

Like the trained hunters we are, simultaneously we rolled out from behind the door and aimed at our targets. Our weapons flying into the backs of our opponents in almost a synchronised dance.

They didn't have time to admire the arena. Or hear anything apart from the very sound that alerted them to us. Neither could they have had the time to reload an arrow and shoot it. They were dead the second they stepped foot in here.  

BOOM.

BOOM.

I scoffed in relief and stared at the sky in shock. "I can't believe that actually worked".

Usually my plans are so flawed but for once it played out nicely. Okay, so maybe I'm proud of the way we expertly killed off the twins, sue me.

Liam kissed my forehead quickly before dragging me over to the bodies. They were both faced down which helped to not associate any thoughts or feelings for the two dead celebrities. I nodded to myself, I'm glad my axe is wedged in Terrance's spine and not in Poppy. Only because she was technically nice...before she tried to shoot me that is.

Liam smirked and lifted his trident out of Poppy's back before giving me a shrug. "In and out remember, I'll go find Trent".

I nodded before I suddenly felt my hand hold his back. He lifted up a confused eyebrow and I bit my lip. It's only us three now...

I trust Liam, wholeheartedly and yet a voice in the back of my head told me Liam doesn't like Trent. 

Liam's head tipped to side and I shook my head. "Just wait for me, I'll only be a minute".

Immediately he frowned. "Don't you trust me?".

There it is. The question that normally breaks off alliances in the games. We're down to the final three. It's crunch time. Decision time...I won't kill either of them. I scoffed. "Of course I do, I lo-..."

Shit. Was I really just going to say that. Do I love him?...it's hard to tell. I've never felt love before but I've never felt so strongly about a human being in my entire life. I'd willing die for this boy ten times over. In fact, I don't ever want to consider my life without him.

Liam smirked and rose an eyebrow. "You what now?".

I bit my lip and shrugged, turning away slightly while I plied my weapon out of Terrance Mellark. "I love you". It was softly muttered. But I'm sure every camera in this soggy marsh wet land picked up on it.

Suddenly I was turned around by my shoulders and in the arms of Liam Odair. I could feel his soft lips rest against my shoulder while he whispered. "I love you so much Victoria Mason".

Oh. Well I guess that answers that. I'll admit my heart feels like it's about to burst. It shouldn't be possible to beat this fast but is and my god, I could die right now and still be happy.

We both jumped at the sound of a large bang echoing around us. I pulled back a little and stared at Liam in confusion while his eyes hardened at the sound. But then I heard it...rushing. I stepped back and gasped.

A giant wall of water came barreling across the arena. Liam's hands were in his hair and I shuddered. "I-I can't swim".

Instantly his head whipped up to me in panic. "Yes you can!."

He was gripping my shoulders tightly while staring me down hard. "Remember you kick and move your arms at the same time. If that fails. You. Float."

The water was nearly touching us now, there wasn't enough time to even run back to the door. Liam's eyes stayed on my mine. He gave me a small encouraging smile before he whispered. "Big breath... now!".

And that was it. We were literally slapped away from each other by the intensity of the water. It was rough and strong. So strong it reminded me of that deadly ocean. I panicked because all I could hear was silence. I tumbled and swirled. I tried my hardest to move my arms and legs like he showed me in the pool. Yet, I failed. I shook my head in frustration. How I am I even supposed to float in water like this!?!.

More spinning and whirling. Until I felt like my lungs had exploded, a clear indication I'm passed the point of holding in air and am now swallowing water. More pain, more silence.

BOOM.

My last remaining thought;

Please, let that cannon be for me and not him.

- End of Book 1