13

The rest of training was uneventful. I chose to keep my head down and avoid everyone whose name isn't Trent. I could feel eyes watching me every now and then. The careers had stood together and stared me down near the spear throwing station. 

I made it look as if I have no idea what I'm doing, which is actually true. Survival skills are not my forte. Yep, living in luxury hasn't prepared me for plant identification Or well...anything that isn't axe wielding. 

That voice in my head was almost at a sing song now; 'you could always give them a show'. Then the careers wouldn't be looking at Trent and I like we're pathetic. Another part of me hated the fact that Johanna was watching my every move and might think I'm trying to do what she did. Appear weak only to slaughter everyone at the last second. While the tributes in here are buying it, I having a feeling the mentors behind the mirror won't believe it for a second. 

Not only that but Terrance, Poppy and Liam are sticking together like glue. Laughing and genuinely seem to be getting along. The careers, especially the boy from District Two already seem envious of them. Their fame and well their obvious skill. It didn't help that when the careers offered to join alliances that the three of them turned them down. 

The twins are both skilled in archery but not to the level Liam and I are. As if they were taught for fun...a foreign concept I can't wrap my head around. But they're great, and they'd be great allies if one was actually thinking about playing the game. I hadn't even realised I'd been staring at the trio until Poppy smiled at me and nudged her brother causing me to instantly drop my head.

I quickly turned to Trent. "Quick, pretend you're talking to me".

Trent snorted. "Yeah, okay".

He shook his head at me and went back to attempting to light a fire. I blew out a frustrated breath and looked subtly in their direction. All of them stared back at me, not menacingly but more in a 'offer still stands' kind of way. Whatever, I went back to watching Trent.

I sighed. "I think we're doing it wrong".

"Oh, you're definitely doing wrong". Followed by a small giggle. 

I didn't acknowledge her, however Trent instantly dropped his sticks in frustration and started at her with a small smile. "Want to show us, then?".

Poppy didn't hesitate before joining our duo. Her brother and Liam stood off at a different station but were watching us intently. Liam stood, arms crossed with a small smirk and Terrance looked bored. I rolled my eyes, they think Poppy Mellark of all people will get me to reconsider?.

Poppy shot me a small smile. "I'm Poppy".

Trent nodded. "We know".

Okay, I'm not doing this. I'm not going to play nice with Poppy Mellark of all people when in a couple of days she'll shoot everyone in here. 

I sighed. "I'm bored. I'm going to go check out that station over there". I pointed randomly behind me and ignored the warning look from Trent.

Poppy frowned at me instantly. "It'll only take a second to show you, promise".

Before I had even gotten up Poppy Mellark had a small fire going. I stared at it in surprise. We'd been here for an hour and this girl lights one up in less than sixty seconds!. I turned back to the boys and sure enough, Terrance smirked at me. And well, Liam just looked gorgeously smug.

Trent nodded at her. "Thank you, Poppy".

She smiled at him. "It's nothing".

She then turned to me with her perfectly innocent face. I bit my lip and ran a hand through my hair. "Thank you."

Her smile widened and she grabbed my hand. "We'd love it if you guys would sit with us at lunch. We could get to know each other better".

I looked pointedly at her hand resting on mine. She smiled sheepishly and let go. I'm cold, having been raised the way I am I don't let people in easily. And touching?!?, I see it as almost offensive. 

Trent coughed. "We'll definitely think about it".

But it was clear from the heavy silence around us. Poppy Mellark knew she offended me or at the very least thinks I'm a bitch. And well, isn't 'I'll think about it' always code for no way in hell?.

The next day we had evaluations. All of us sat in a tiny room in order of our Districts which I'm grateful for. It meant I was far away from Districts One, Two, Four and Twelve. I'm sitting in between Trent and the male of District Eight who keeps trying not to make it obvious that he's staring at me. 

I shot him a dirty look and turned to Trent. "So, what are you going to do out there?".

He shrugged. "Haven't thought that far ahead yet".

I felt my eye twitch before staring at him in exasperation. He took one look at my face and burst out laughing. "Damn just how low of a score do you think i'll get?".

I smirked. "I don't think a zero has ever been given...but who knows". I shrugged. 

He shook his head. "Just you wait I'll get a solid twelve".

I snorted. "No ones ever gotten a twelve".

He sighed. "You will if you use the axe".

I bit my lip and shook my head. "If I don't use it then it's less likely to be in the arena. Besides if I'm not playing then a score isn't important".

Trent tusked and leaned in closer to me. "It is important when two groups of trained tributes are hunting you down specifically".

I frowned and shook my head. "I'll just hide in a tree or something".

It was his next sentence that caused my blood to run cold with fear. "Not all arenas have trees".

Surprisingly everyone seemed to be at ease while watching the scoring. Maybe it's because we've now had time to adjust and accept our fate. Blight was normal. Johanna was...well I'm not sure. She's sane so I guess that's something and she's ignoring me. I can't ask for more than that.  Clement was his usual annoyance while Trent looked utterly bored as the female from District Two scored a Ten like all her careers before her. 

I tuned out District Three the brother and sister managed a score of six each. Which is decent. Then came District Four. Liam, was praised by Caesar for what seemed like ten minutes until Claudius stated they'd run out of time if they didn't continue on. But here's the thing....he got a twelve.

Silence rang out through the room. Never, it's never happened before. Instantly Trent's head was in his hands and I felt my stomach drop. Of all the people to snub...it had to be him. My mother tusked and that was it. As if she almost expected it.

Claudius and Caesar didn't stop talking about it. Even as they introduced other tributes and their scores. Somehow they were always able to bring us back to the fact that Odair somehow managed a twelve. 

Until I was staring at Trent's face with a big seven next to it. I beamed at him. "Better than zero".

He snorted. "Gee thanks".

And then there was me. My face staring back at me and my score, a twelve.

Clement gasped rather dramatically and smiled at me. "Good job, Victoria".

I found myself nodding despite the shock. Everyone seemed elated as I swept my eyes over the room. Johanna gave me curt nod. Just enough to give away she somewhat approves. I ignored the hurt and started picking nails despite no dirt lingering underneath. What I wouldn't do to be able to run away from all this attention and hide in a tree.