30

That night, we slept in each other's arms. I felt safe and content. I never had this, not in Seven. I meant it when I said I wished we could stay in here forever. Only one ever makes it out...I felt my grip on Liam subconsciously tighten. 

It's not like tributes haven't pulled the 'in love' stunt after Katniss and Peeta. Lots of District partners did it out of desperation. But the game makers didn't budge. Katniss and Peeta are the exception, an exception that's never been repeated. 

And Liam and I aren't even from the same District. On some miracle that the game makers allowed it, then how would it work?. We're not allowed to live outside our District. It's one of the upmost important laws of our society. Born in that district, you die in that district. Only Victors are allowed to travel to the Capitol and even then it's against the law for them to live there. 

We could never move Districts. It's goes against the wealth and oppression that exists. Like, they'd just let me, move to a rich career district when I was born in a poor outlier one. No way!. And imagine the uproar from the Capitol and District Four if the Liam Odair was forced to live in such place as District Seven.

I bit my lip. One of us isn't going home. That thought never felt so final until tonight. It was easier to hate him. But I don't. I rested my head back down on his chest with a small frown. I shouldn't think about it but we're already half way through the games. The next time I hear a cannon it's going to feel like a clock ticking down our remaining days. Forever reminding me that whatever happens in here can't be permanent. 

If I was to bet on these games. A sickening thought, but a reality for most of the country then I'd place money on either Liam and I. Both of us scored a twelve and we're elite in the way that we kill. So expertly it's like we were born for that very purpose. Easy enough to point at the two of us and say 'it'll be one of those two'. And deep down we both know it will be. Not that we've had to talk about it yet. There's still too many tributes alive to have any of those kind of discussions. 

It's even too early to consider breaking off the alliance. We'd be idiots to at this stage. But it was tempting to not get too dependent. I sighed, who am I kidding. We're already dependent on each other. From the way we kill as a team to the way that Liam holds my hand ever waking moment we're in here.

We spent the entire day walking back to the door. It felt like the waterfall was at the very end of the arena. But it was a peaceful day. No tributes but us in this particular arena. Together we walked leisurely getting to know more and more about the other.

From home life to our favourite past times. My hand forever in his. A day of smiles and laughter.

A day where we forgot that we're trapped in a deadly game.

We went back to the usual routine in the Seventy-fifth arena. Except, we'd added making out and swimming together to the list.  I felt my arms wrap around his shoulders as he smirked up at me. His eyes shining in amusement. "You know, maybe we could hide the whole thing out in here".

I smiled and shook my head. "When we find Trent we can".

Liam frowned and brushed his thumb across my cheek bone. "We've been looking for five days now. It's impossible to search every arena".

I sighed and looked down at the clear water. "I'm not giving up on him. I know Trent. He's in a tree somewhere".

I'm sure of it!.

I felt his lips linger on my forehead. "Then we'll search every tr-".

BOOM.

BOOM.

BOOM.

We'd both froze in anticipation. Our grips on each other tightened and Liam's eyes darted to our discarded weapons on the shoreline. I felt myself swallow and lightly cupped his cheek so his eyes met mine. "It didn't happen in here".

Liam nodded to himself and I saw his features relax slightly. "Three's a lot at once".

I nodded. "Probably an alliance...that broke".

He suddenly chuckled. "Here's hoping it was the careers".

I frowned. I almost forgot that the entire career pack is still alive. "Do you think they're together?, the careers I mean".

Liam smirked and shrugged. "Nah, Fragrance and Satin for sure though. They didn't get along with District Two".

I tipped my head and smirked. "Why, what happened?".

I wasn't usually one for gossip but something about Fragrance and Satin pissed me off so much that I just needed to know. Besides, I knew it wasn't Trent's cannon because he told me he would refuse any alliance.

Liam rose an eyebrow at me and then shook his head in amusement. "Well, between you and me...". He leant in closer to me while I giggled. Yeah right. Between you, me and all of Panem. "I don't think they thought the two from Two were on they're level.  From memory the words D-grade celebrities were used".

I gasped. "Well, that's understandable. It's the only reason I agreed to be an ally with you".

He smirked and leaned in closer to me. "Is that so?".

I nodded. "Yep, had to get those ol' sponsors somehow".

Liam tusked. "And here I was thinking I was the only one using their ally. Turns out I'm the one being used".

I frowned in mock sympathy. "Oh poor baby".

The next thing I know he dunked us both in the water which ended up in a full blown water fight. I splashed water in his face before diving under a wave and swimming to the shore. But of course, despite not having the head start he'd managed to beat me to it. 

We were at a stand still. Staring each other down with massive smiles on our faces. Liam rose an eyebrow. And I faked going to the left which he didn't buy for a second. I was lifted up by his strong arms and my legs had wrapped around his torso so I wouldn't fall.

I felt his lips rest against me ear. "Now that I've got you I'll never let you go". 

I smirked and leaned back to see those eyes piecing into my heart. I frowned. "You promise?".

He nodded, his face leaning into mine. "I promise".

I don't know who kissed who first. But it was everything. Soft and gentle. Fierce and captivating. And promised something that'd forever make up for all those years of Johanna's abandonment. For once, I felt like I'd truly never be alone again.