Chapter Twenty-Two: "The Oath"

Astraeus's laugh was like being struck by lightning.
"Heron, don't you dare," Zane says, but he sounds more sad and angry. Nobody else says anything.
Do not wish upon the star, the prophecy said. Well, I'm not listening to the prophecy. I'm going to wish upon the star.
My brain scrambles for a loophole, an escape, any way I can wriggle out of my end of the deal. I come up blank.
And as Astraeus holds a hand out to let me out of the prison, something weird happens. Part of me is grabbing Astraeus's hand. The other part of me is inside his head, rocketing through his thoughts faster than the speed of light.
I struggle to keep control. Find a weakness. Any weakness.
It's not hard.
Humans are stupid, he thinks. I can find a loophole. She can't. This will be fine.
I let go of his hand, returning one-hundred percent back to my body, and I bite back a victorious smile.
That's where he's wrong. I will find a loophole. In fact, I already have.
"You first, demigod," he says.
"No way," I say. "You first. But I'll give you this: I swear on the Styx that if you agree to my terms and swear on the River Styx, then I too will swear. Ready?"
Astraeus grunts.
"What are your terms?"
"Let the gods go. Let any other demigods, humans, or creatures here against their will go. Neither you nor your minions can hurt them. If anyone is left here who wants to leave, you've broken your oath. If one of your monsters loses it and attacks them, you've broken the deal. I don't want to see you near my friends again. If one of them attacks you, you can't lay a finger on them. Got it?"
Astraeus laughs softly. I've made him nervous, but I can see in his eyes that he's still scrambling for a loophole. Either that, or I'm reading his mind right now. Is that a power of Hera? Something else?
No time to dwell on that now. Right now I've got people to save.
"You drive a hard bargain, demigod."
"Do we have a deal?"
Astraeus laughs again.
"We have a deal. I will honor your terms, I swear on the River Styx."
"Then," I say slowly. "Then I will join your army. I swear on the River Styx."
Thunder rumbles overhead, and a thin bolt of lightning turns the sky into a jigsaw puzzle, turning the ground between me and Astraeus into a smoking crater. The gods have heard my oath, which means they've also heard Astraeus's side of the bargain.
The bars around my friends vanish as Astraeus waves his hand. "The deal is set," he says.
"C-can I say goodbye?" I croak, trying to sound sad.
Gods, I hope this works. I hope I can send my message to them. If I can't...
Don't think about it.
Zane rushes forward.
Before he can skewer Astraeus with his sword, I grab his arm, using all of my power to send him a message.
"Don't," I say aloud, but mentally, I tell him the real story. I found a loophole. Take everyone and run back to camp. I'll follow you soon. Give me a few days or so. Tell the others. Run.
I scream these thoughts as loudly as I can, and Zane stiffens.
I can hear you, he thinks. Can you hear me?
"Yes," I say aloud. "Now go. Please."
Swallowing hard, he turns and grabs the rest of the quest-goers. They all look back at me, all except Zane. I only hope... I hope things go well.
My child, whispers a strange voice in my head. Your treachery is worthy of Hermes. I am proud. I will tell the gods what you have done here today. As soon as I realize the voice is Hera, I open my mouth to speak, but it's too late. Hera is gone, and I'm alone with a titan whose name sounds like "Ashtray."
I've made my oath. He's made his.
We'll see who comes out on top.