Chapter Twenty-Five: "The Proposition"

It's late enough that I can probably see Astraeus now. I hope he's tired enough that he just agrees and sends me on my way, but when I enter the throne room, his face is most definitely awake. Astraeus is angry.
When he sees me, his face brightens with that Ted-Bundy smile.
"Heron," he says loudly. "Perfect. I was just looking for someone to kill this pandai."
I had no idea what that creature was, but it was most definitely not a panda. It was big, white, and furry, but that's where the similarities ended. Its ears were large and wide, like an elephant, but with more hair. I knew instinctively that this was a young pandai. I hadn't done much killing since the Lucas fiasco, only the occasional monster. But this monster was different. Like Muffin was different. I almost cried at the horrible timing. I needed to get on Astraeus's good side. But this adorable killing machine didn't deserve to die. Yet there was no way out. I'm getting better with my powers, occasionally practicing, but I couldn't fool Astraeus, and I couldn't fool this whole room of people, either.
Biting my lip, I unsheath Backbiter. I feel like this sword has a dual personality, as if that makes any sense. Eclipse is my sword. The good sword, that only kills when it has to, or when something is evil. But with Lucas, and now this pandai, the sword feels... different. Malicious, almost. Like it wants to kill. I know it makes no sense, and yet... nothing else about Greek myths makes sense. Why can't a sword have split personalities? It's like the icing on top of Cake à la Weirdness.
I close my eyes and try not to breath as my sword cuts through the pandai.
I'll find you again, I think. Somehow. Somewhere. I try to send my message through the Telepathy Express, and I tell myself the pandai hears it.
I don't think it's true, but it makes me feel a little bit better anyway.
"Well done," Astraeus says, clapping his hands together. "That damn pandai Hertz really put a damper on my mood."
I wanted to vomit, but I re-swallow last night's dinner and forced myself to speak.
"I have an idea."
The whole room goes deathly silent, as quiet as Olympus after Hestia's outburst. The kind of silence where you could drop a cotton ball and it would sound like an atom bomb. That kind of silence.
Then Astraeus smiles, the smile of a psychotic shark.
"Well? Let's hear it."
"I want to be a spy. On Camp Half Blood. I'll bring you information. My friends won't suspect a thing. I'll tell them I tricked you and ran away. They'll believe every word."
Astraeus frowns, like he can sense the truth in my statement, but soon, he's back to his normal mood.
"I like it," he says finally. "I like it a lot. I like the way you think. Our deal was a worthy one, Heron. You are much more reliable than my average slushie-brained monsters. I'm a bit short on demigods— seems like most of them were scared off by Kronos's spectacular failure. But I'm not Kronos. I will win. And all because of you." I forced myself to grin. Astraeus starts whispering, more to himself than anyone. "I'll choose a spy who can't betray me. Stupid Kronos..." He trails off, lost in whatever titans fantasize about. World domination? Eternal chaos? Lady titans? Who knows? None of that matters to me. All that matters is that it's working. All I care about is getting out of here. Back to Camp Half Blood. My real home.
Besides, I have to get that offering to Apollo before he shoots me with a plague arrow.
"The sooner the better," I say, shifting on my feet. "I want to catch up to my friends before they get back to Camp Half Blood. It'll be easier that way. To convince them, you know."
"Indeed," Astraeus says. "But first... we'll need a way to communicate. Inconspicuously."
He eyes my monster-dust covered sword.
"Ah yes," he says. "Heron, give me your sword."
I hand it to him, scared he's going to shatter it or something. Maybe kill me with my own sword.
But no. He just breaths on it, flecks of light digging into my blade.
"Whenever you need me," he says. "Say my name, clearly, into the blade. Loudly and clearly. I don't want any accidents. Make sure no one is around. You will see me, and I will see you. Am I clear?"
"Yes sir," I say. He hands me the sword, and it feels hot to the touch, like there really are stars living in my blade.
I wonder if I'll ever be able to trust Eclipse ever again.
Yes, I decide. Once I send this bastard back to Tartarus. I'll have my life back. And my sword.
But for now? When I'm not feeding Astraeus false information, I'll keep it away from my friends.
"Thanks," I say, plastering on my fakest, most convincing smile ever.
"Go," Astraeus says. "Remember your oath. And please, bring that damned dog with you. He keeps peeing on my best rug." Muffin growls, and Astraeus waves away his collar of light. Muffin is free. Just like me.
It takes every ounce of my self control not to skip out of the throne room.
Finally.
I'm going home.