Chapter 8

Riley's POV

It's been a week since the incident at the cafe. I ended up telling Nate the next day because he wouldn't let it go. He definitely was not happy about it, much less about me hiding it from him. He went on to reassure me that I am perfect just the way I am. I'm actually starting to believe it because everyday he shows me how beautiful he thinks I am.

Right now we're hanging out at my house. We're nicely snuggled on the L-shaped couch in the living room, binge watching on Netflix. We have snacks, wrappers and empty chinese takeout boxes on the table. I don't like leaving a mess so I get just to clean up a bit just so that the table is a bit organized. Nate gets up to help but I stop him.

"Nah, it's okay Nate. I got it." 

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah", I reply back with a smile.

I grab all our used trash, head to the kitchen and throw it in the trash can. After throwing out the trash I feel my stomach cramping up. Damn, it's been doing that for a couple of days now. And my emotions have just been all messed up lately. Then it hits me like a truck. FUCK!

I walk to the living room and check the date on my phone. Damn it. How did I not realise earlier. Just then I feel it. 

 Nate must have seen me act strangely because he asks, "Riley? Are you okay?"

"Uhm yeah. I just need to go to the bathroom"

"Okay"

I go to the bathroom in my room after grabbing a fresh pair of underwear from my room. I open the cabinet below my sink and grab a tampon. I sit on the toilet and sure enough, my period arrived. I hate having my period and I get so miserable; especially on the first day. Luckily, only my underwear is stained so my sweatpants are still clean. I change into the fresh pair underwear, insert the tampon and flush the toilet. I wash my stained underwear in the sink and hang it up for it to dry. 

I go the medicine cabinet in the kitchen and drink painkillers and  return to the living room.

Personally, I experience really painful period cramps. I'm talking unbearable period cramps. Sometimes, they get so bad, they wake me up at night and I have to take painkillers. Which is why I make sure I have painkillers and water on my nightstand when I'm on my period; hot water bottles or heating pads don't really work for me. I'm starting to think the pain is not normal anymore.

I go back to the living room to continue hanging out with Nate.

He asked again, "Ri, are you okay?". He calls me Ri sometimes as of late and I like it. I like him too. Geez Riley, focus!

"Yeah, I'm okay. Just...." I stop mid-sentence. I'm comfortable around Nate and I feel like I can tell him anything but can I tell him about me being on my period?

I mean, guys are usually grossed out when the talk of periods come up and I don't want to make him uncomfortable or anything like that. But then again, I don't want a guy who's disgusted by periods and doesn't want to talk about it or how it may affect women? You know?

I'm talking as if Nate will ask me to be his girlfriend or something. I mean, I hope so because I really like him. I hope he feels the same way.

"Just what? You know you can tell me anything right?"

At this point, the movie on Netflix is paused and he's turned his whole body to face me with his leg on the couch so that he can fully face me. I sit in the same position so that we're both facing each other.

I just decide to tell him because why the hell not. Periods are a natural thing and it should be talked about more.

"I just started my period". I say as I look him straight in the eyes to gage his reaction.