chapter six

"I'm not sure."

He looked as confused as you did. Your hopes fell away from you. There would be no clear answer from him. Still, you couldn't allow yourself to give up on this lead. This one single lead. The Force had given it to you for a reason and you knew that.

This piece of Resistance scum that had the perfect opportunity to let you die or kill you himself chose not to. He chose to fight someone he was loyal to for the chance to save you. That just had to mean something.

"When we locked eyes back there, you saw me. You really did. I know you saw something when you looked at me. I have to be in your memories somewhere. Anything. Even just a moment. Please."

Your desperation only confused the man. He let out a dry cough, covering his mouth with a shaking, dirty hand. "I think I remember you. When I looked at you, I thought you looked familiar. But no one that I know is brainwashed, First Order loyalist. Or a friend of Kylo Ren's."

"I'm not brainwashed," you said.

"Whatever you are. I don't know anybody on this side of the war."

Disappointed once again, you pulled away from him and looked down at the ground. You huffed, your lips moving into a disappointed frown. You were unsure of what to do at this moment as your final hope fell away.

"If I do know you, it was from a long time ago," he said hoarsely. "But I can't place it. I'm sorry. I really am."

He was genuine. You could see that he was. Forcing a smile on your face, you stood up and looked at him. Time had fallen away from you in the medbay, but you were sure he'd been here long enough to grow tired, hungry, and thirsty, and no one else would be giving him what he needed.

"Your blaster wound," you said. "Have they looked at it?"

"When you're a prisoner, you don't exactly get five-star treatment," he replied coldly. "So in other words, no. They haven't." His sentence ended in another fit of dry coughs but he was still eager to mock you. "Good to see you're up and moving around like perfect, though. Perks of being a princess of the First Order."

"We don't have princesses in the First Order," you replied simply. "But I do get treated better than most, that's for certain."

"You don't say."

"Alright. You wait here," you said, heading towards the door, "and I'll be back with food, water, and a medpac."

"What?"

"Surely you heard me," you said, raising an eyebrow as your hand hovered over the panel.

"Yeah, I did. And that's why I'm confused. You're helping me?"

"Well, to be honest with you, I'm not that great of a doctor," you said. "And you'll be my first real patient. But I think I can make something work. Now I'm going to get supplies. Can I trust you to remain in this cell, or do I have to lock it behind me?"

He was so confused that you grinned.

"I'll take that as your word. I will be right back. Don't disappoint me, Resistance scum."

Without another word, you disappeared. It only took ten minutes to gather what you needed from the cafeteria and medbay, and once again you beat all odds and snuck around undiscovered.

When you came back, you tossed all of the supplies on the table that was usually covered with tools used for torture. You turned back to the Rebel that was seated in the same spot, head tilted to the side, face covered in sweat. You knelt in front of him.