chapter seventeen

As Leia stared at her daughter, thinking of all the ways she looked like her, all the ways she held herself up to her, all the ways she suffered like her, she found the balance between anguish and pride. Her daughter was so young, had seen so much, and had been missing for far too long. And now she was reunited with her family only to grieve again. 

Once more, the absence of Han and the lack of Luke's presence sent a sharp pain into her heart. She turned away from her daughter so she wouldn't have to see the grief that was clear on her face.

"Excuse me, General." 

Leia's first instinct was to ignore C-3PO, who meant well in his overbearing yet insistent attempts to get her attention. He was probably going to offer her advice on beating grief and focusing on the good side of life. Or he would make a comment about how all creatures were made to suffer, and therefore they shouldn't be too surprised when the suffering continued. 

She tried to ignore him, but the excited beeping of an impatient R2-D2 made her lift her head. She couldn't believe it. After years of R2 being shut down, unresponsive at the disappearance of Luke, he was beeping at her to get her attention once again. That sarcastic, rude, impatient droid that her brother loved so much. 

"Artoo may contain some much needed good news." 

"Tell me," she whispered. 

You left Poe's side and ran up to the droid. "Artoo!" you exclaimed. He beeped excitedly, knocking against your legs and shaking. "I didn't think I'd ever see you again, either. You've been here all this time? No, not me. I've been... I've been somewhere else." 

As R2 continued to beep about how glad he was to see you again, C-3PO touched your shoulder to get your attention. You turned around slowly to see another part of your childhood you could only now remember.

"Princess, it is so good to see you again," he said. 

You smiled. "It's good to see you too, Threepio." 

Everyone nearby gathered around R2. You stood next to Poe and your mother, staring impatiently at the incomplete map that would lead to Luke Skywalker. BB-8, Poe's own droid, rolled up to him and chirped. Poe nodded. "Yeah, all right. Hang on!" 

He retrieved the piece of the map that he and BB-8 had risked their lives to get only a day or two ago. It was impossible to fathom that only that small amount of time had passed. An entire lifetime had gone by since then. 

Poe placed the chip inside of BB-8's drive and the droid was able to project his share of the map with R2's. Everyone gasped in unison as the map became full and complete. Hope glimmered in your mother's eyes and reflected in her voice. Her hope gave you your own belief that just maybe, things would be all right again. 

"The map! It is complete." 

"Luke!" she whispered. Her hand found yours and she grasped it tightly. 

Your other hand grabbed for Poe's arm, just at the inside of his elbow. Your fingers clutched at the orange fabric of his jumpsuit. His eyes were glued on you as he covered your hand with his. 

Threepio looked at you. "Princess! You must go at once to retrieve Master Luke."

Your smile faltered. "What?"

"The location of Master Luke has been discovered. It makes the most sense for his one remaining student to go retrieve him and bring him back. Oh, and just imagine how he will feel to know that you are still alive! I can see the reunion now. The very last Skywalker returns to bring back a miracle. Going to find him---"

Going to find him. Going to find your old Master. Facing the plethora of unwanted memories your trauma had suppressed in your remembering. Gazing into the sad eyes of your uncle as you told him about the loss of your father. Having to break it to him that it was your brother that betrayed him and that you joined him, if he didn't know already. Having to stand there as a Skywalker that fell for the dark side and loved it.