chapter six

Not even twenty minutes later, you were on an escape pod, the feeling of Poe's arms around you still attached to your skin. You knew that he was watching as your pod shot off the main ship, probably preparing himself for the worst just as you were. At least you knew that if the First Order chose to strike, the end would be quick. Just a flash of light, burst of heat, and then it would be over. You could join your father --- wherever it was that he went. But then no one would be there to protect the two people in your life that needed protecting.

The stars were bright around you and you held your breath as you waited for the fatal hit. But nothing came, and as you were able to launch yourself into hyperspace, you could finally exhale. Your hands were trembling. BB-8 beeped at you from your side, and you could convey his tone of relief. "We made it!"

"Shocking, huh?" You looked down at the droid and smiled. It was nice that you weren't alone. Poe insisted that BB-8 would assist you on this journey. He provided the map of Luke Skywalker from his data bank and a bit of company that reminded you of Poe. "Alright, buddy. Let's see that map."

The journey didn't take that long. You pictured a week worth of traveling, but you were truly only in the stars for a few hours. Mostly in hyperspace, but it still boggled your mind to think about how close your uncle was. So close to the fight that he was avoiding. So close to the niece he either didn't know was alive or didn't want to know was alive.

You landed on the green island, right next to the beach. It was pretty. Fog surrounded it, creating a nice blanket that shielded it from unwanted eyes. You got off the escape pod, your bag of belongings slung over your shoulder, Poe Dameron's droid rolling at your heels. 

The terrain was rocky and you had to climb a lot. You found yourself picking up the droid to lift him onto the next step or help him over rough ground. As breathless as you were, you didn't try to stop for a rest. You needed to find Luke on the island. If only your brother knew where you were. He would be so angry to know that you'd found the island he'd worked so hard to find.

There was a village at the center of the island. It was full of creatures you didn't recognize. They wore white and had coverings over their heads. They spoke kindly to you, taking you in as a stranger passing through. You smiled at them and walked through their village, making sure to look in every direction. Had your uncle built a home here with them?

"___? Is that you?" 

You turned, recognizing her voice at once. "Rey---" 

She stood on a slant of rock overhead, her staff dug deep in the crevice of rock. Her eyebrows were pulled together as she tried to make sense of you being there. Her mind went to the worst and nothing else mattered except the answers that she needed. "Please tell me that Finn is alright."

"Finn is fine," you assured her. "He woke up and asked about you. Poe is with him. You don't need to worry." 

Except that she did need to worry, and she knew it. "Why are you here?"

"The base was attacked," you said. "Everyone escaped, but we need Luke's help desperately. We're trapped in space with limited fuel and not a chance of surviving. Soon, they'll crush us. My mother was injured in the last attack and has left us with an Admiral with no intent on getting us out of there. Rey, if we don't have Luke---"

"Then the Resistance is doomed and hope is lost," she finished for you. She sighed and shook her head. "I hope you can convince him. I'm afraid I haven't had much luck." 

"I need to see him. He has to know what happened to his sister."

She nodded, her staff digging into the crevice between the rocks. She turned on her heels and started up the side of the mountain. "Follow me."

[ gif break here ] 

He lived in a small hut at the edge of the island, far away from the village. You never would've found it before the sun set on the horizon. You didn't call for him, didn't knock. You opened his door because it was unlocked and saw him seated at the end of his room, looking away from the entrance, messy grey hair long and touching his shoulders.

His voice was harsh and cold. "I told you, Rey. I'm not training you again. The raw power within you is not---" 

"I'm not Rey," you said. You wanted to sound stronger than you felt, but your voice betrayed you. It shook and was small and you were just a teenager again, turning to your uncle when you needed someone to guide you.

He froze for a moment. His head turned slowly and when you caught glimpse of his watery blue eyes, you finally felt hope. As foolish as it seemed. You couldn't make sense of what he thought of you and you didn't really want to know, because all that he needed to know was that your mother was hurt and the Resistance was in danger and he was their last hope.

"Uncle Luke," you whispered. 

"What are you doing here?" he spat. 

You blinked, taken aback. "I--- I came to see why you and Rey hadn't come yet. The Resistance needs you desperately. I chose to come---" 

"Why? To torment me further?" 

"To torment you? No. We need you, Luke." 

He shook his head and stood up. He was frail and weak and you worried for him, reaching out your hand to support him. He pushed your hand away and walked around you. "Of course you need me. All I want is to be left alone and you need me. When will you girls understand that a Jedi is not what you need? A Jedi cannot protect you. A Jedi cannot guarantee you safety and security from the evil powers at work. You don't need a Jedi because the Jedi shouldn't exist."

"What are you talking about?" You followed him as he stomped out of the small hut.

"The Jedi are done and over," he said, "and rightfully so." 

"You are the last Jedi," you said, and you caught up with him and grabbed his arm. He turned to look at you and his eyes were full of tears. "And we need you. You're our only hope. Don't you understand that?"

"Why?" he whispered. "Why are you so sure that it is me that you need?"

"Because my mother needs you," you said. "Luke, you don't understand. Something has happened to Leia."