chapter eleven

"I had no idea we had the best pilot in the Resistance on board. Comfortable?"

"Not really," Poe replied.

"I'm impressed. No one has been able to get out of you what you did with the map."

"You might want to rethink your technique," he said.

"Maybe so." Kylo Ren sighed. "You've impressed me in another way. It took no time at all for you to make her think of betraying me. Of hating me."

"You're really not that hard to hate," he replied. His tongue swiped at the dried blood on his bottom lip. "I'm not surprised at all that someone like her wants to betray you. It's only a matter of time before she turns to the Resistance---"

Kylo interrupted him by walking around the interrogation chair and grabbing your shoulders. You were forced to walk around him and stand directly in front of Poe. With your head dropped, you waited.

"The pilot thinks we should rethink our technique," Kylo Ren said. "I think you know which technique to use here. It's one we've been working on very recently."

You swallowed hard. "No, Kylo. Please---"

"Do it." His voice was hateful.

You flinched. Slowly, your head raised. You locked eyes with the Resistance pilot. And you lifted your hand and leaned in close. It only took a deep breath and a switch of focus. His mind was before you like a closed book. All you had to do was open it and start flipping through the pages. He stiffened as he felt the way you forced yourself into his thoughts.

"That's it," Kylo praised.

"The Resistance... will not be intimidated by you," Poe said.

He grunted in pain and you felt your heart break. You saw flashes of memories; a woman kissing him on the top of his head, the controls of an X-WING, the green grassy hills surrounding their base, and an orange and white droid. Digging through his thoughts was putting him in pain and for some reason you couldn't do it.

Kylo had done it to you like it was nothing. Kylo, who told you that he loved you, who assured you that he was enough for you to keep as family, did this to you without any remorse. But you couldn't do it to the pilot.

And as you whimpered in response, his thoughts opened up in a whole different way.

You raised your head and stared into his eyes that dripped with tears.

That was you that you were seeing. His hand was holding your hand and his eyes were locked on your face and you were laughing, showing all of your missing teeth, your hand reaching down to pick up the skirt of your brown dress as you ran faster and faster through the fields of the meadow dotted with daisies and lavender.

Your jaw slacked open and you started to pull back in shock and fear of hurting him. He furrowed his eyebrows and pushed more memories to the surface. Memories that he could remember now that you had pulled them to focus; memories that he wanted to give you, too.

A parade crossing the street. People celebrating, fireworks in the night sky. The air was so warm that you could almost feel it now. The way your face lit up when he called your name and handed you a bag of candy he had paid for at one of the booths. Your hand in his again.

And it was just like that that you remembered. The hot sun, the tall shade of trees, the smell of earth and the feel of long days playing outside together.

You pulled back completely and he fell against his restraints, gasping for air. "I never thought that I would see you again," he gasped. "They said you died. I tried... I tried to forget."

You stumbled away, staring at him, thinking of him, feeling only him. He was in your mind, heart, and soul.

"Poe," you whispered. Your back hit Kylo Ren's chest and then you were aware of his fuming anger.

He grabbed your shoulder harshly. You cried out, feeling him twist you around to look down at you. He had realized the mistake that he had made; the pilot did remember you enough that even the oldest, most suppressed memories were there. The memories that belonged to two children. A pair of best friends that never knew the harshness of their parents' pasts would haunt them later in their lives.

Two children that never knew they would soon be separated.

"Get your hands off of her!" Poe roared.

You hurriedly moved to grab your lightsaber and turn it on your Master, but he locked your hand in place. In response, you moved your other hand to lock his in place, but he beat you there. You were frozen where you stood and he waved his hand in front of your face, making your thoughts go foggy and your eyes roll into the back of your head.

"___!"

You tried to stop it, but you were falling down, down, down, into a pit where there was nothing but light.