Chapter One

You gently tapped your foot on the white tiled floor of your little office. It wasn't really an office, but you liked to refer to it as one. You found yourself almost getting bored, although you were thankful it was not a busy night. You had just recently started working as a nurse in an Emergency Room, situations often got way too chaotic and stressed you out.

    You could hear your co-wokers speaking, but you did not really care what they were saying. It seemed like they could be gossiping, but it didn't matter to you.

    You got up and walked over to another room. It was a sort of lounge, although quite small. There were two couches, water and coffee dispensers, a mini fridge, as well as a microwave. You made yourself a drink before taking your sandwich out of the fridge, starting to munch on it.

    You had almost finished your snack when you heard commotion from the front. One of your co-workers was calling for you.

    "Y/n!" 

    You quickly made your way into the room with the main entrance, shoes squeaking the slightest bit on the tiled floor. 

    In front of your eyes was a blonde, a bit above average man who appeared to be in his thirties, maybe a bit younger or older. It seemed he had been stabbed - no, more than that. He had gone through a lot. He was bruised and cut everywhere, and had marks on his neck, as if from a rope of some sorts. As if that wasn't enough, he was wearing a strange outfit. He was being supported by a woman who you assumed to be his wife.

    You practically leaped forward and helped the other nurses get the man onto a wheeled hospital bed. He complained, as if he didn't trust anyone except his presumed wife to touch him. It was chaotic, but your ears could make out the sound of someone urgently calling the doctors. You were surprised the man had still been able to stand, even with the help of the woman he had walked in with.

    Once he had been taken to a room, you helped stabilize his vitals. He was murmuring, and he sounded extremely distressed. Of course, he had obviously gone through something.

    You and your co-workers soon left the room to let the doctors look over him without any distractions. One of the doctors was your older friend, who you had met in medical training. You knew she would take care of him. The woman who you assumed was the man's wife waited in a different room, closer to the one he was in, rather than the main waiting room.

    You went back to your desk, anxiously clicking a pen. You just could not settle down. Something about the way the man looked - all of it - had unsettled you. Your mind started to go a bit wild. 

    Soon, time had passed, and you had barely realized. You were still new to this job, and still getting better. You were well aware that it would take time to get used to all of stressful situations.

    Out of the corner of your eye, you swore you saw a shadow figure enter the building, a blackness that almost looked like a swarm surrounding it. However, when you jolted your head around to look, it was simply a tall man walking in. He appeared to be a bit younger than the other one, and he looked a bit messed up too. 

    He had dark brown hair, a medium skin tone, and brown sleepless eyes. He seemed to have a strong, but not overly muscular build. He was wearing a simple off-white shirt, a brown jacket, and jeans. His clothes were messy.

    He walked right past you, and was about to open the door.

   "Sir, do you need some help?" You spoke up, causing him to stop and turn to you. You could have sworn his eyes were all black for a moment, but you blinked, and realized his eyes were still brown. You started to realize that you really needed sleep.

    "Are you here to visit someone?" You asked, speaking again as he had not said anything yet.

    He looked around a bit, avoiding your gaze. "Uh... Yeah.." He mumbled, before correcting his tone. "Here to see a guy, my friend."

     You hadn't been working this job long, but you had heard that tone and excuse before. It was how people talked when they weren't coming to see a friend - and were just following someone. Yet, he didn't give you bad vibes. There was just something...off. Not bad, just...off.

    "Well, you have to sign in. How do you know him?" You responded, deciding not to push much. You walked back to your desk, which was not very far, seeing as it was close to the doors he had attempted to get through.

    The brown-haired man sighed and rubbed his forehead… and that's when you noticed.

    He was missing his pointer finger. Your eyes instantly darted to his other hand, and noticed his ring finger was gone. Blood was dried on his hands, and you cursed yourself mentally for not noticing it before. This guy was more than a little messed up.

    "You need to be patched up," You said, moving back to the doors again and opening them. The man didn't move.

    "C'mon, what are you doing? I have to take care of you, then you might be able to sign in and see your friend." You said, making an offer, hoping he would let you help him.

    He sighed, seeming to think it over for a short moment, but still long enough to make you nervous. "Well… Okay, I guess," he agreed.

   "Right this way," You nodded, smiling a bit. You led him to a room and sat him down on the bed. You started gathering bandages, and other medical supplies, also pressing the call button for a doctor.

    There was still something off about him. He seemed distracted, as if he wasn't fully there. He had probably gone through something as well. 

   You reach for his hand to clean his non-existent fingers, and he flinched a bit. You frowned at that, but decided to ignore it, not wanting to risk making him more uncomfortable. 

    When you had finished treating him to the best of your abilities, you stood up and stretched a bit, yawning.

    "Thanks, Y/N," He nodded to you, reading your name tag that was on your shirt. The slightest bit of a smile formed on his face. It was the most aware he had looked this whole time.

    "Helping people is what I do," You responded, smiling warmly. "It's what I do, no need to thank me… Now, can you tell me your name so I can sign you in?"

    He went quiet for a few moments after that. Then, he looked back at you.

    "Miles Upshur."