Chapter Four

Miles decided to wait for you in the front as you got water for Mr Park and his wife. As usual, you gently knocked on the door to alert them of your presence before coming in. For once, Lisa wasn't there, which seemed to make Waylon more paranoid and aware, as if he was expecting someone to sneak in and kill him, or something along the lines of that. 

      "It's just me, with some water." You set down two cups on the stand next to Waylon's bed. He sighed a bit in relief when he saw it was just you.

       "Sorry for getting freaked out," he said, taking his water and wincing a bit at the movement. 

        "No need to apologize. Do you want me to stay until Lisa gets back?" You offered, not wanting him to feel uneasy.

         Park shook his head a little, "No no, I'm fine, go do what you need to do,"

         "Well, it is the end of my shift. You sure?" Even though he said it was fine, it was pretty clear that he did not want to be alone. But why did he feel unsafe? Were those people- Murkoff- after him? If so, then why?

          Park only told you to go again, "I'm sure. Go home, get some rest. You look tired, and you deserve some good sleep, helping people all day."

         After hearing that, you were certain Park was more of the friendly-softie type. 

        "Goodnight, Mr Park," You smiled and stood up, leaving the room and closing the door quietly.

        You walked to the main entrance, not seeing Miles. You looked around, expecting to spot the shadow figure again. Not seeing much of anything, you grabbed your things and walked out the doors, smelling cigar smoke.

        Miles was sitting on a bench outside, smoking. He noticed you and instantly put out the cigarette, tossing it to the side.

       You could have gone on a rant about how smoking is bad for his health and he sure as hell shouldn't be smoking, but you decided not to.

       "Ready to go?" You asked him.

       He gave a quiet "Mhm" in response, and you led him to your car. Unlocking the doors, you got inside, and he did as well.

       "Car broke down?" You asked him, curious as to why he didn't have his own ride.

        "Waylon has it."

        You blinked a little at that answer, a bit confused. You were about to speak, but Miles did before you.

        "It's a long story. Don't ask. Not yet," He said, and then turned away from you, staring out the window. He really liked to use windows as an excuse to avoid eye contact and conversation, not that you could blame him.

        "Alright… Where to?" You asked, as he hadn't told you where he lived. 

         "Or, here," You opened your phone up to Maps and handed it to him. You watched him type in his address. You knew the area. 

         "Thank you," you nodded as he handed you your phone back.

        You started to drive, leaving the hospital as the last bit of light left the purple sky and the stars came out. Miles wasn't much of a talker, all he did was stare out the window. It was a bit awkward, but you didn't necessarily mind the silence. You turned on the radio a bit, humming along when a song you liked came on.