Chapter Six

Once Miles had gotten into his jeep and started it up, you sprinted inside, where Sarah was checking the Parks out.

       "I'm sorry, but I have to go, something really important came up," You told her, only partially lying. 

      The Parks looked a little confused, but Lisa ushered them outside quickly. You saw them all get into a silver SUV parked next to Miles's jeep.

         "Alright, I'll tell the others," Sarah responded, letting out a stressed sigh. You felt a little guilty leaving, but you really just wanted to be with your new friends. Or at least, you considered them friends, and you also wanted to figure out what was going on.

          "Thank you so much, I owe you," You said, lightly hugging Sarah and quickly retreating out the door before she could say anything else.

       You approached the red jeep passenger door. Right before you reached it, Miles leaned over and opened the door. 

       "Thanks," You said, giving him a smile as you jumped in and then put your seatbelt on.

        You turned to Miles, "So, you talked to Waylon and Lisa? They're okay with me coming with?" 

      "Yeah, I made sure," he nodded. The silver SUV that Lisa was driving pulled out of the lot and Miles followed.

       Soon enough, you all had made it to a cute small town. The two vehicles pulled into the driveway of a small family home.

        Miles switched the jeep off and unlocked the doors. You got out of the car, watching as Lisa and Waylon helped the two kids out of the SUV. Lisa, holding the hand of the younger son, walked over to the door and unlocked it with her keys. Waylon and the other son followed quickly, with you behind them, and then Miles behind you.

        "Come on in, and just make yourself comfortable," Lisa said. 

      You entered the house, looking around curiously. It seemed like the average middle class house to you, maybe a bit on the lower class side. 

      Lisa and Waylon almost seemed to be inspecting the house, as if they were looking for something. Lisa shot a glance to Miles, and they both left the living room.

       Waylon seemed to pick up on some cue, and he walked over to you, still limping a little bit. He had his oldest son at his side. 

       It looked like Waylon was about to talk to you, but his son spoke first. 

       "Thanks for saving Dad!" The kid beamed, and then leaped to hug you. 

       You jumped a little in surprise, a bit shocked. You patted the kid's head. "No problem, little guy," You said, gritting your teeth and looking at Waylon.

         You didn't hate kids, but you weren't fond of them. It wasn't a dislike, but more so just the fact that you never knew what to do around kids. 

       Waylon gently pulled his son back over to him. "Now, I know you're really happy, but remember not to touch people unless they say it's okay, right?" 

       "Oh… yeah, sorry," The kid said. 

       "It's okay, don't worry," You smiled, "What's your name." 

       "Ashton," He said to you. The kid seemed to like his name. Somehow, you just knew Lisa had chosen his name.

        Waylon chuckled a little. "Ash, go help your mother and Miles, okay?"

       Ashton groaned at 'go help your mother', but then he heard the second part, and seemed really excited. He sprinted down the hallway, almost instantly out of sight.

       "He really likes Miles, huh?" You asked. It was adorable.

       "Yeah, he does," Waylon said, walking into the kitchen and starting to warm up some water, "The boys are still convinced he's their uncle." 

       "Awww," You laughed a little. You watched as Waylon stepped away from the water, and opened a huge bag of dog food from the pantry. On cue, a golden retriever trotted down the hallway, likely from a back door.

       Waylon filled up the food bowl, leaning down and petting the dog, who's tail instantly started wagging. 

       "Been a while, huh buddy?" He said in adoration. 

       You walked over, sitting on the floor next to the dog and started to pet him. The light on the water heater switched off and made a click noise, meaning it was done. 

        Waylon stood up and opened a cabinet, grabbing a small box. "Would you like some tea?" 

       "Sure, thank you," You nodded, looking up at him from the floor, still focused on the dog.

       You heard light but strong footsteps from the hallway and stood up, looking over.

       Lisa had come back. She just looked at Waylon, smiled warmly, and nodded. He grabbed four mugs, and started up the coffee machine as well, probably for Miles.

      The two sons rushed into the room. "We're gonna take Buddy outside to play!" Ashton said, grabbing a small box of dog toys, and rushing outside into the backyard with his little brother. He whistled, and Buddy's ears twitched, before he ran out to join them. The kids threw toys for Buddy and played fetch with him, and it was a wholesome thing to watch. 

       Soon enough, the tea was done. 

       "Miles! Coffee!" Lisa shouted. You heard shuffling from a room down the hall, and soon enough, Miles was there. He grabbed his coffee and stood next to Lisa. 

        "You know how legal shit works right?" He asked. You sat on the couch, looking at a magazine, and pretended you weren't listening in.

      Waylon's eyes widened. He glanced at his kids playing outside, and then back at Miles.

      "Relax, they didn't hear a damn thing. And so what if they curse? They're going to eventual-" 

       Lisa cut Miles off, "Depends on what 'legal shit' you're referring to." 

       "Well, I'd like to protect the identities of the old patients and their families…" Miles explained to her, which she seemed to understand what he was talking about.

       Waylon sighed heavily and looked down before closing his eyes, a sympathetic look on his face.

          "Alright, I'll have a look," Lisa said. She got up from the counter she was leaning on.

        Waylon grabbed the car keys off the other counter. "I'll take the kids shopping then." 

        Lisa's eyes widened a little at that. "Not alone you won't." 

     "I'll be fine-" Waylon tried to reassure her, but she wasn't having it.

       Why couldn't he go alone? And what was all that about patients and identities? 

         Lisa turned towards you with a tense smile on her face. 

       "Y/N," She spoke, calling your name as you looked over at her, "Would you mind going shopping with Waylon and the kids?" 

          You still didn't get what was going on at all, or why Waylon couldn't just go alone. However, you knew you wouldn't mind spending some time with him.

         You smiled back at Lisa.

        "I wouldn't mind at all."