Chapter 10

There wasn't much flesh on his prey but Adrian paid it no mind. That thrill of the hunt, the quick burst of energy release and satisfaction of making his kill, had been enough to satiate his shift.

However, as he bit through fur, flesh and bones, the stench of fear and distress pheromones was overwhelming. He knew he was at the center of attention, felt eyes on him from all around.

Especially so from the two males in front of him. Charles had wisely taken a few steps back, but the new male that Charles had called out to as Darius, had simply sat down.

Adrian hadn't been that distracted with his hunt to not have seen the man's shift. Darius was like him, but stronger. More powerful.

More dangerous.

Darius' raptor had been larger, heavier than Adrian's own shift. While Adrian had the impression that he could outrun the man thanks to his lighter build, he's stand no change against the powerful muscles that slowed the raptor down.

He wasn't worried about the adults that were approaching, knew that he outmatched them. But even if Adrian lashed out and fought them, he knew how quickly he could get overwhelmed by them.

His shift was massive and intimidating but if they all rushed him, catching him off guard, they might realize just how easy it would be to incapacitate him.

After all, semi-hollow bones were easier to break than most shifters full bones. Which why Adrian had always been wary of large groups or a single powerful predator.

His dead sibling was the proof of that, as he had easily been torn apart by that bear while, technically speaking, he could've survived if he had shifted before attacking.

Adrian had no idea why his sibling had even been in his human form to begin with. Perhaps he had anticipated the bear to be slow-moving, sluggish.

Perhaps he had wanted to toy around with the bear, to anger it and dodge its attacks before turning it into a meal. That was, until the roles were reversed and his sibling died screaming.

Tearing off a chunk of flesh and bone, Adrian threw his head upwards, allowing the motion and gravity to guide his meal down his throat.

His teeth weren't designed to chew and grind his meal to an easy to swallow mush. They were made to rip and tear, to shred the flesh into manageable chunks.

Then he just tossed his head back, allowing gravity and his powerful stomach to do the rest.

His meal finished quicker than he wanted, knew he could eat more if he really desired to. There were only few who would be able to stop him.

Neck feathers ruffling, Adrian looked back at Darius before shaking himself out. He snorted, lowering his head so his muzzle was within range of his leg, claws scraping off whatever gore had spilled over his lips.

"Don't worry about that. We'll head to the bathhouse that is designed for our shifts, so you can clean off." Darius spoke gently, drawing Adrian's attention back to him.

Adrian was surprised that the small fox kit was currently within Darius' lap, shivering Adrian's feet thudded on the floor. He lowered his head, nostrils expanding as he inhaled, analyzing all of their scents.

Charles leaned back as much as possible, tongue flicking over his lips in rapid succession. Adrian didn't need to analyze his scent to know he was nervous. The fox kit itself was shivering and whimpering, hiding against Darius' stomach to avoid Adrian's gaze.

The man himself however, didn't back away in the slightest. He allowed Adrian to lean in, nostrils flaring and inhales audible.

He even lifted his chin, baring his throat as Adrian nudged it, the membrane flicking over his eye for a moment before he snorted.