daisy cullen | mourning cloak butterflies & pinky promises

──────── ♡ ────────

daisy falls gracefully on the cold, fluffy blanket of snow. her sweet giggles echoing throughout the serene winter landscape. she gazes fondly at the familiar sight and touches the slushy, crystallized water and playfully rolls around in it like a dog in a fresh pile of mud. oh, how she so dearly missed the alaskan snow tops of the denali mountains, but a pang of longing tugs at her chest for her beloved brother's absence. it's only been a mere three years since the two engaged in spirited snowball battles and compared who had the best snow angel. daisy always boasted how her snow angel was the prettiest. edward never disagreed. though, he showed her not an ounce of mercy when the snowballs flew.

her arms and legs sway in and out against the snow, a bittersweet reminder of the past with eddie. solemnly, she comes to a stop, her whiskey-colored eyes staring upwards at the dark, dreary sky as icy white flakes drift down ever so gently.

so much has changed in such a small amount of time. all of those sweet memories of her and her coven family, along with the denali's on occasion- changed. time has been infinite in sweet daisy's life and while it rings true that a lot can change with time a lot stays the same. that was true until they went back to forks washington.

a tiny snowflake falls gently onto daisy's cheek, oh, how she misses him dearly. eddie has always been the target of her rotten shenanigans and playful pranks, but ever since that wretched isabella swan entered the picture, things have changed. he used to affectionately call her a sweet hooligan for her mischievous, yet innocent ways, but now she is simply daisy, usually followed in an annoyed tone. it seems like all of him has been consumed by that swan.

the family has been in a constant state of chaos and disarray since isabella's arrival. daisy firmly believes that ever since she barged right into their perfect lives edward has been nothing but tormented and troubled. the tension within the family is palpable, with half accepting her and half wishing for her oh so not tragic demise. that swan and her sickening blood clouds his judgement and plays with his emotions like notes on his piano.

scowling at the thought of her sweet borther's ex-harlot and her manipulative ways, a large chocolate-colored mourning cloak butterfly flies by and erases all her disheartening thoughts. she jerks up and beams brightly watching its large wings flap in the frigid air in awe. she oohs and ahhs at its graceful futtering dance. she stands to chase it but trips and falls into the thick layer of snow.

"daisy!" alice calls from afar.

the blonde looks up from the white icy ground with a smile and waves, "alice! you wanna make a snowman with me?" alice returns the smile but shakes her head walking closer to the girl, "not right now, daisy. i'm sorry, but i just came to tell you that-"

the pixie looks around the area to see if any unwanted ears are listening. she crouches down and leans close to the now crisscrossed girl her hair covered in lumps of snow. she whispers, "don't tell anyone, okay? can i trust you to keep a secret?"

daisy tilts her head looking at how serious alice's face seems to be. she doesn't like secrets all too well, because she's awful at keeping them, but, if alice is insisting... oh what is she saying, she loves a secret!

"what is it?!" she grins ecstatically. alice's mouth moves, but all daisy can focus on is the butterfly that inches closer and closer to her and eventually lands on her deathly cold hand.

"daisy? did you hear me?"

"huh?" her eyebrows rise while alice simply chuckles. "i said i'm going back to forks."

daisy gasps dramatically, "oh, alice! can i go with?! oh, please, please!! i forgot something reallly important at home and i miss it so so much! will ya take me with ya?" giggling at her sweet coven sister's reaction she glances to a mountain in the distance, "what did you forget? i'll get it for you while i'm there." daisy bites her lip looking down in her lap in shame mumbling, "i left rosie's wooden brush..." it's now alice's turn to gasp dramatically, "does she know?!"

shrugging daisy glimpses down at the butterfly, "beats me. hey, alice? can i come too? i miss seeing the mossy trees and the ladybugs. i promise to be good." alice gives the girl a disapproving look that's far too familiar for daisy's liking. she continues with a whimper, "i thought ya loved road trips with me..."

the pixie vamp's identical colored eyes cloud in guilt. she does love road trips with daisy, and she'd loved to bring her along, but this isn't exactly a 'road trip'. if bella really is dead- the waves this will cause... it needs to be handled in a sensitive matter- something that poor daisy doesn't understand very well, especially with her loathing for edward's singer sweetheart.

"i don't know, daisy..." she mutters hesitantly. the blonde huffs and sighs with a pout looking intensely at alice with her pleading puppy eyes- a face no one can resist.

thinking firmly about the outcome, alice finally caves, "alright. but you can't tell anyone we're going to forks. not even edward, okay?"

daisy squeals and tackles alice to the ground, "yes! yes! i'll be the best road trip buddy ever! we'll play games, sing killer karaoke, and even pretend like we're tourists and buy a butt load of trail mix! and then we can ha-"

alice smiles, her golden eyes watching daisy rant and ramble with a notable warmth. daisy coming with her won't change the vision- her presence shouldn't have an effect of the future. besides, daisy will be a good distraction if her worst vision is true.

daisy raises her pinky in front of alice's face, "i promise to not tell a soul- dead or alive, but only as long as i get to pick the music!" the brunette playfully rolls her eyes wrapping her cold pinky around daisy's, "deal."

"ah!" daisy shrieks.

"what? what's wrong?"

the blonde frowns staring at their intertwined pinkies and wistfully mutters, "the butterfly flew away..."

──────── ♡ ────────

edited ; april 26, 2024