chapter four | dutch braids

──────── ♡ ────────

aro reluctantly let's go of daisy's hand, feeling a sense of loss and dismay. he contemplates what to do with the young swan, weighing the potential benefits and risks of her involvement. but edward interrupts his thoughts, snapping, "daisy's feelings for bella are irrelevant." his voice dripping with anger, he continues, "what she thinks or feels has no in-"

"silence!" the blond king roars to his feet.

edward glares at the man then darts his eyes to the girl in question. she's humming another soft tune casually weaving jane's hair into a beautiful dutch braid. he clenches his fists but keeps his mouth shut for the remainder.

he hates their thoughts. he hates that aro is seriously considering bella's death. aro is a level-headed, neutral judge who rides facts over feelings- rational and unbiased. however, with daisy's open disdain for bella, he worries it be the last nail in his mate's coffin. he's taken daisy's opinions into consideration, his ruling made complicated.

aro clasps his hands together once more, "we've hit an impasse."

caius scoffs, "impasse? she knows far too much about our kind. she's a liability and threatens our existence. end of discussion."

aro agrees and mumbles, "that's true."

silence falls upon the bright throne room once more as aro reviews his verdict. "i only have pink hair ties, i hope ya don't mind." daisy said with the hair tie between her teeth as she knots jane's ends.

marcus wished aro would stop playing around so the three could attend to the sweet petal he never knew he desired. growing quite tired of the dragged-on banter of this dulling trial flatly states, "we already know what you're going to do, aro."

indeed, he does. while she's aware of the vampire's existence, this consent seems to be the issue at hand. she wants to turn, edward doesn't. aro would happily give the girl what she wants bringing her to join him in his guard displaying such a powerful new defense- however, he cannot read her. a little too risky for his taste, and alas, the girl would be resistant using those enchanting powers for him anyway, she's far too gone.

then, of course, there is his sweet little flower. his ray of sunshine loathes the very ground isabella walks on. her death would be liberating and a cause for celebration, but it was this very conflict that brought the cullen's here today. if bella were to die, edward were to die and it would ultimately affect her as their bond is evident though their shared memories.

"if only you had intentions of turning her this would all be so much less complicated," he whispers emitting a conflicted gaze to the swan. he turns around to see daisy solely focused on jane's braid, her tongue sticking out from the concentration.

edward stiffens and his eyes widen. "felix," aro mutters softly. the cullen grabs bella's arm and pulls her behind his figure. he growls at the giant guard who stands smirking at him. he listens to the burly man's thoughts and lunges at him but gets pinned down immediately.

"please stop!" bella begs. "please, kill me, not him! kill me."

daisy glances over at the quarreling conflict. she hums a "please do." while looping the hair tie around jane's hair. the blonde twin chuckles, happy to witness it as well.

felix grabs edward by the neck and yanks him to air squeezing the "life" out of him. aro analyzes the trembling human in a bewildered, an almost ominous fixation, "you are willing to die for this man? a soulless vampire?"

"don't talk about his soul like you understand him!" bella shouts.

aro's toothy grin widens while the clutch on edward's neck tightens.

"aren't you going to say something?!" bella shrieks to daisy. the two blondes look to the frantic swan with little interest both secretly hoping someone rips that tongue of hers out. "i wish you'd stop screaming. my ears feel like they're bleeding."

bella's jaw clenches, "don't you care?!" daisy weaves a couple wildflowers in jane's hair thinking about saying no, but it wouldn't be fitting. she knows aro isn't going to kill eddie. bella is the problem, eddie is just in the way. eddie will be fine. she could not care less what happens to that shrieking shriveled sack of annoying flesh. she knows if eddie lives, bella lives. if bella dies, he does too. she doesn't understand the romeo and juliet syndrome, but she accepts it. she's not worried.

caius growls loudly and lethally at the swan's outburst. this signals demitri to close in on isabella's figure from behind ready to attack, "wait!" alice shouts. "bella does become one of us! i see it, please- take a look!" she throws her hand out towards the cloaked man.

aro has grown somewhat disinterested in seeing the young swan become a vampire, but he would never dare miss a chance to get inside the pixie's magical head. he takes her hand and stands frozen in a transfixed daze. oh, how he wished she'd join the volturi's side...

"fascinating", he mumbles.

stepping back he averts his tentative thoughts. "a happy ending after all." he giggles bearing his teeth at the human. "so it seems immorality will befall on you. oh, what a grand trial this has been!"

"you're on thin ice little human." caius seethes, "i suggest you tread lightly and remember who we are. the volturi do not offer second chances."

aro's voice flourishes throughout the illuminated throne room, "wonderful! everything is sorted." he claps happily. "now, a further important matter." he turns to daisy, "we have much to discuss, dear flower child."

──────── ♡ ────────

edited april 27, 2024