chapter seven | easy peasy lemon squeezy

──────── ♡ ────────

it almost feels like yesterday when daisy and her coven family lived in a large farmhouse in the rural appalachians. a midsummer dream is what it was. wildflowers had blossomed brightly in light of late spring. bees and butterflies buzzing 'n dancing around her, filling themselves with fresh golden pollen. the sun was dazzling and as a result, so was her skin. daisy loved it. the feeling of rolling around in the grassy meadow with an unlimited amount of pretty flowers and cute insects to play with- indeed, a dream.

she had never seen anything like it before. never anything so green, so colorful, so vast and lively. her human life had been so dull and sheltered that she couldn't even tell you what grass was. the memories of the appalachian meadows are her happiest. daisy thinks back to it a lot. it brings her happiness and tranquility.

but she can't focus on this happy place in her mind.

her throat burns and her head aches. it feels like rosie took her long acrylic nails and scratched inside her throat relentlessly. everything in her mind body and soul shout at her to sink her itchy fangs into something red, bloody, and delicious.

she doesn't quite understand what's happening. she's been thirsty many, many times before, but this feels unmistakenly foreign. so distinctly than when she's been thirsty before. fear clogs her insanely parched throat as she hears two beating hearts which seem to just deafen her the closer her and felix get to the door.

her jaw clenches tightly and her face contorts with a strange mix of worry and feral. if she had a beating heart, it too would be racing. dread washes over her knowing those beating hearts were human, not animal. she's scared, scared of carlisle's disappointed face, scared of the strange feelings bubbling quickly inside her, scared of change.

disappointing carlisle isn't something she takes lightly. disappointing esme, rosie, even eddie, is one thing, but disappointing carlisle is like a horrible punishment.

she'll never forget his face when she asked if she could feed off of a human. boy did she open up a can of worms there. "i don't want to hear another word of this, daisy. it's the humane thing to do." to which she mistakenly replied, "but we're not human." that landed her the disappointed dad look and a thirty-minute lecture about why humans deserve every amount of respect as vampires do.

oddly enough, this grim memory was in appalachia too, only days apart from her favorite memory.the fear is boiling inside her and its scary. she feels like a child again terrified of her drunken mother's antics.

daisy grabs felix's hand instinctively and stops. he side-eyes her, her dainty hand shaking in his gentle grasp. poor thing doesn't even know what's good for her, he thinks to himself. daisy bites her lip squeezing his hand harder, "i- i don't..." she whimpers slowly.

what kind of brainwashing did carlisle do to these people? she's pissing herself over feeding off of a human? felix brushes his antagonizing thoughts away and simply holds her hand close. "there's no need to be scared. we're the ones who bite you know," he smirks hoping to ease her worries.

"i don't know, felix..." it feels right in my head, but feels wrong in my heart. she wanted to say

feeling uneasy, felix holds her hand stiffly. he's never been put in a situation where he needs to "comfort" someone. he doesn't really want to break that cherry either but seeing as she's now his master's mate and a somewhat fun creature to be around, he tries.

"i highly doubt the compassionate doctor would want you to starve. besides, they're two low-life criminals. you'd be doing the world a favor."

her face still looks unconvinced, he wonders if she actually even heard him. "i can hear their blood flowing like a roaring tidal wave," she states dismally. it's weird. she's never felt a thirst like this before- not with a human. she can be around them with ease and when she was a newborn it wasn't that hard as they lived in the middle of nowhere away from civilization.