scene eleven: a small break

"Are you sure about this?" Chan asked, pacing the hospital room. 

It had been two days since their outing to the mall and they both missed the feeling of freedom that they shared together, hand in hand. 

However, nothing good lasts forever. Jeongin knew that all too well. 

They had now returned to their usual setting of Jeongin, monitors attached to his body, in his hospital bed and Chan standing by his bedside.

"Of course," Jeongin responded, making Chan only shake his head more.

"I can't do that," Chan sighed, turning to face Jeongin.

"Please, hyung," Jeongin pleaded and clasped his hands together. "It's only this one time."

"No," Chan refused, turning his head away from Jeongin's large puppy eyes.

"Come on, hyung!" Jeongin whined, making Chan groan in annoyance.

"I am not going to skip your operation day for my job," Chan protested as if it was an obvious fact. "I'm not going to let you be alone on such a critical day."

"I'm not going to be alone," Jeongin retorted. "Felix is going to be with me."

Chan only groaned more. 

He loved his cousin, but he trusted no one but himself to look after Jeongin.

"I swear, I don't even need to be at work," Chan continued to try and push his point. "Where did you get the idea that I need to be there?"

"Hyunjin hyung told me that you have been skipping out on work," Jeongin admitted, nervously fiddling with his fingers. 

Chan gritted his teeth, knowing that Hyunjin visited Jeongin from time to time, but he had hoped that the boy would refrain from bringing up their line of work.

"I haven't been skipping work," Chan sighed, running his fingers through his fluffy locks. "Our work is... flexible. I can be at the hospital for your operation."

"How am I supposed to believe that when I don't even know what you do!?" Jeongin finally exclaimed. 

They both paused. 

"Sorry hyung, I didn't mean to pry into your personal life."

"No, it's fine, Innie," Chan reassured him, finally sinking into the chair next to the bed. "I should probably tell you. I don't know if you'll like what I tell you though."

"You're not a hitman, right?" Jeongin asked, genuinely curious.

"No!" Chan exclaimed immediately, not expecting Jeongin to be so straightforward. "No, my job does not include killing people."

"Ok," Jeongin nodded. "Then I don't think I'll have a problem with it. I promise I won't judge, Channie hyung."

"Well," Chan began as he scratched at his nape, "I am sort of like a racer."

"Oh?"

"I ride my motorcycle in races and collect money if I win," Chan said, putting it into the simplest terms he could.

"Ok, and?" Jeongin asked, probably expecting something more astonishing or crazy.

"That's kind of it," Chan awkwardly chuckled. "I'm a motorcycle racer in illegal underground circles."