scene twenty six: it can't end like this

"This is it."

"Don't say that," Chan said with a frown as he clutched Jeongin close to him. "It makes it sound like this is goodbye."

Jeongin only snuggled into Chan's chest further, not wanting to leave the comfort of Chan's warm, muscular arms.

"Come on baby," Chan whispered into his ear. "I promise that I'll be here during your operation, watching over you."

"Ok," Jeongin nodded, but continued to nuzzle his face against the crook of Chan's neck.

Jeongin was sitting in the usual nursing gown, no longer in his usual pajamas, on the operation table in front of Chan, who was standing in front of the table with his hands on either side of Jeongin's waist. 

Any second now, Dr. Kim would come through the door and Jeongin's fate would be in his hands. 

However, Chan was trying to remain optimistic by thinking about how much better Jeongin could get after the operation is done. 

There was even a possibility that, if executed well, the surgery could allow Jeongin to leave the hospital within a year or less.

Chan pressed a long kiss on Jeongin's lips, holding him as if it was truly the end of the world. 

Jeongin melted into him and let his mouth mold against Chan's. 

They both savored this moment, where they could just be with each other. 

They weren't sure if there were more of those moments left.

Unfortunately, their moment was ruined when Dr. Kim entered the room, causing Chan to jump away from Jeongin as quickly as possible. 

Dr. Kim, sensing the tense atmosphere, awkwardly cleared his throat before addressing Chan.

"Mr. Bang, the operation will begin shortly," Dr. Kim said professionally. "We would appreciate it if you would leave the room so we may begin."

Chan nodded and gave Jeongin one last incredibly long hug before finally walking away and letting their fingers disconnect. 

Immediately, Chan's fingers felt cold and yearned for Jeongin's soft hands that fit his so perfectly.

"I'll be waiting here when your operation is over," Chan told the boy, who even now wore a smile on his face.

"I'll be waiting to see you again," Jeongin responded.

The two boys shared one last longing look before Chan forced himself out of the room. A sharp pain tore through his heart, but he tried to ignore it as best as he could.

"Hey Chan," Felix said in English, walking up to the biker who was stuck standing in the hall. "How are you holding up?"

"I'm fine," Chan lied. "Really there's nothing to worry about. It will be fine."

It will be fine, Chan thought. Everything will be fine.

Felix wasn't able to respond though because a rapid blur charged right into Chan, knocking him a few steps back. 

Instinctively, Chan held up his hands, ready to fight, but he immediately regained his normal posture when he recognized it was Minho.

"Minho? What are you doing?" Chan asked.

"Hyung," Minho said, but stopped to pant as he was clearly out of breath from running to find Chan. "I know– that today– is Jeongin's operation– but you need– to come– to the track."