Chapter 4: First Flight

27 September, 2010 1730 hrs
Hangar C, Sand Island Base

~ Gab/Blaze's p.o.v. ~

When the rescue chopper arrived, the Captain was nowhere to be seen. The only thing they found was the retreating enemy intelligence vessel. This small little island used to be a place of exile from the rest of the world...now it became the first line of defense against the enemy. Just my few days on this damn island and I already fighting on a war. Great. After I wrote what I said to my small diary, I hide it in my pocket including my pen. I then went to Pop's hangar/lair(heh) so I can help with his work. Yes, I can fix planes as well as cooking. I have a few talents hidden in my sleeves which will show in the few chapters. Just as I arrived, I saw him shining one of the plane's canopy and I grin. "Hello there, Doc Pops. How's your beloved experiment."

Pops noticed me and smiled. "It was a success, my fellow minions. Although your plane is hard to maintain than your wingmen. So you better take care of your species before I punish you."

"My humble doctor. I can't trust myself for your words." We both laugh. Pops is like our father to this place. Not only that, but he is also an ace of the Belkan War which I only knew. I haven't told him about my brother and my dad yet. Only Bartlett knew about my family history.

"So what brings you here, Blaze?"

"Oh right." I grab a paper from my other pocket and gave it to him. "I want to order this plane for me and my squadron."

Pops grabs the paper and reads it. I should say, he was a bit surprised. "You want to get these?"

I nodded. "The different one is for me and the others well... For spare." I sheepishly smile.

"Looks like you have a good taste of planes eh?" He climbs down the ladder and wipes his hands. "So how's the Demon Lord?"

"He was fine and-" wait a minute. I immediately look at him, shocked. How the hell did he know when I haven't told him about my family yet?! What is he a psychologist?

"And before you ask a question, Bartlett told me everything that he said about you and your relatives before he got shot down." He added.

I sigh in relief. That cheeky bastard loves to spread the humor. "Well, I guess you knew everything now. Damn, Captain threatens me to tell everything."

He laughs. "So how's your family?"

I sit down on a wooden chair and scratch my head. "They're still in Usea.

"Hm. You care about your family and friends a lot. Such kindness you have."

I smile for a bit about that but immediately turned serious. "I still can't understand why Yukes declare war against us? I mean they have been allies since 15 years ago."

"I was thinking the same thing." Pops sits beside me, then he grabs the bottle of water and drinks it. "Both countries don't have a bad relationship with each other. Unless there is something that causes them to start a war."

"And now with Osean's budget cuts, which is a huge disadvantage for us, Yuktobania can counterattack us at any time. And now this Sand Island being the first line of defense, and lack of pilots, I don't even know what to say." I explain and shook my head. "Just when things went 180 degrees. I hope we all survive so we can end this war as fast as we could."