forty-six

the salt lake city native woke up to the hot los angeles sun piercing through the guest room curtains. with no alarm set, nina was a bit disoriented when she opened her eyes. it took her the need to sit up in her bed to recollect her memories and put the pieces together. once she did, as if on cue, there was a subtle knock on the door. rubbing her eyes, she freed herself from the comforter and dragged herself to the sound. she opened the door slowly, head peaking around it to see who awaited her. as nina expected, it was her host for the week.

"morning!" ricky cheered, a refreshing smile on his lips. he looked as though he had been up for hours, hair perfectly coiffed and a full outfit already on his body. "i wanted to tell you that i made us some waffles."

nina let out a breath laced with admiration, eyes livening. "so you're a chef now?" she teased, opening the door fully.

"always have been," ricky winked. "there are various things you don't know about me."

nina laughed lightly, the boy doing the same. he pointed down the hall. "i'll meet you in the kitchen when you're ready."

she nodded, watching as ricky shuffled away. she couldn't help the warmth in her heart.

it was going to be a great week.