one hundred and thirty-eight

the girls headed to east high's junior prom had their get ready session at ashlyn's house on saturday morning

the girls headed to east high's junior prom had their get ready session at ashlyn's house on saturday morning. they had a later start than expected, since kourntey had to move up every hair and makeup appointment she had scheduled in order to have time to join nina, ashlyn, and gina with enough time to spare. you could imagine the lighthearted mayhem that occupied the house as the girls scrambled to help one another with curling wands, eyeshadow, and last minute dress fixes. but, they didn't forget to document their fun, snapping various selfies and capturing candid videos of one another throughout the process, even sending some to the boys along the way.

nina was in ashlyn's basement bathroom, playing with the mid-ponytail kourntey graciously constructed for her. she messed with the wispies that framed her face, twirling her index finger around them in hopes to create the perfect curls. as she did this, she was startled to hear a small knock on the bathroom's doorframe. turning her head slightly, nina was equally as surprised to see gina porter standing in the opening. the taller actress also wore her dark locks in a bouncy high ponytail, and her bold earrings dangled from her ears so delicately. her most defining feature, though, was her seemingly sympathetic smile that graced her lips once nina looked her way.

"wow," gina breathed, stepping further into the bathroom. "you look amazing already. i can't wait to see the dress."

nina thanked gina with a close-lipped smile, now uncertain of herself as she stared at the gorgeous triple threat before her. "i mean, look at yourself," nina released a tiny yet worried laugh, pointing towards the mirror. both girls turned to look at their reflections. "you're flawless," nina added honestly.

gina shook her head, facing the shorter girl once again. "no, i'm not," she shut her eyes briefly as she fiddled with the intricate bracelet on her wrist. "in fact, i have one giant flaw that i wanted to talk to you about."

nina couldn't possibly imagine what gina was insinuating, but she nodded so she could elaborate. "i'm really bad at making good first impressions, and i think you were one of my many unfortunate victims," gina chuckled while still speaking sincerely.

"i'm so sorry if i gave you the wrong idea about me. as you know now, the media can be really manipulative, but i know my behavior with ricky didn't help much. i guess i was just jealous that he was making something work with someone, meanwhile i've just been at a romantic stalemate for as long as i can remember. i was envious of him finding someone that cared about him as a person rather than a public entity, and it's something i've been searching for for way too long. i think that's why i might've radiated bad vibes towards you, and i'm very sorry. i think you're great, and i think you and ricky together are great. i'd really like it if we could be friends."

nina always figured that hollywood stars had their demons, but she never expected the glamorous gina porter to have ones that were so relatable. she felt her heart crack a little as gina oozed with vulnerability. nina almost felt guilty that she used to be so scared about her being a homewrecker; gina was the furthest thing from that.

nina rested a hand on gina's forearm, getting the girl to look her in the eye. "i would be lying if i said i never was worried about you and ricky," nina began, gina giggling softly, "but it was only because you are who i wish i was. i've never realized that the people who i'm most envious of are also capable of envying others. even though i may not ever get what you, ricky, and the others have to go through, thank you for telling me all that. i, too, want to be friends."

gina's grin grew wider, nina's copying. "okay," gina pursed her lips, jerking her thumb over her shoulder. "why don't you say we get in full glam and take some pics?"

nina nodded. "no promises i won't steal your dress."

gina led the girl out the door, scoffing slightly. "no promises i won't steal yours."