eighty-two

it was monday night, and ricky's highly anticipated party was underway. by 9:30 pm, all of his friends from the lonely hearts cast had arrived with a variety of snacks, drinks, and games to entertain them for the evening. after some small talk at the start, everyone grouped off to do their own things. ricky found himself at his kitchen table next to gina and two other cast members, jess and robbie, on the other side. a triangle of cups were in front of both pairs–filled with nonalcoholic drinks, of course–and they tossed a ping pong ball back and forth in hopes it would land in the other team's cup.

after ricky made his third shot in a row, robbie threw his hands up across from him. "you're suspiciously good at this, ricky," he pointed a finger at the singer. "you're a frat boy at heart, aren't you?"

ricky shrugged. "i didn't go to college, so how would i know?" he narrowed his gaze.

"leave him alone," gina chuckled, putting a hand on ricky's shoulder. "don't be mad that my partner is better than yours."

jess scoffed, her hands angrily flying to her hips. "alright, gi, tell us how you really feel."

as the three cast mates playfully bickered, ricky adjusted the cups in his triangle. the energy in the room was so comforting, and ricky truly felt like he was at home. these people, people that understood his lifestyle, were who he wanted to always be surrounded with. it was easier that way, and it was reassuring that way. he knew that the smile on his face wouldn't be fading anytime soon.

ricky was about to secure the win for his team when he heard a faint pounding coming from the front of the house. not expecting anymore guests, he figured it was something he fabricated and continued to focus on the game. however, before he could toss the tiny ball, another cast member, peter, poked his head into the kitchen. "hey, ricky, someone is knocking on the door."

the boy politely dismissed himself from the game and made his way to the front door. he assumed that he may just haven't accounted for another cast member's arrival, so he shook off any suspicion. once at the door, he fiddled with the knob before yanking it open. his eyes rose from the ground to land on who stood before him, and that smile he identified earlier soon fell from his lips.

"surprise, hollywood!"