one hundred and thirty-two

"okay, so i'll go with the dark blue for iheartradio, and then the grey for vanity fair?"

nina was curled up in her bed late friday night while on facetime with ricky. she loved the way in which it was an unspoken rule that they always facetimed on friday nights, but she was a little hesitant to talk to him that evening. the girl was happy to help ricky choose his interview outfits for the weekend, a genuine smile on her face as he clumsily held up different button downs to the camera. yet, once he put the two nina-approved winners to the side and sat down on his couch with an expression reading what's-up-with-you, nina decided to just ask him the harmless question and get it over with.

"so, i was wondering," her voice trailed as ricky's brow rose. she shifted in her spot lying down. "about me coming to l.a."

"yes," ricky beamed. "school's out, so when are you coming?"

nina pressed her lips together. "i was making a plan, really. but, then i remembered something, and i figured i'd just run it by you before i make further arrangements."

ricky nodded for her to continue. "yeah, what's up?"

the more nina thought about bringing him to prom, the more she felt like he'd shoot her down. but, she knew she had to ask, so she sucked it up and sighed. "i, like, completely forgot about my junior prom at the end of may. but, when i realized it would conflict with when i wanted to try and visit you, i started thinking about ditching prom. then i – "

"hold up," ricky rose his index finger, nina stopping her ramble on command. "i know where this is going."

nina's eyes solemnly left the screen. "yeah, i knew you wouldn't want to go."

"nini!" ricky shrieked, his tone catching her off-guard. the boy straightened in his seat, a look of bafflement on his face. "are you crazy? you thought i wouldn't want to go to prom with you, so that's why you wouldn't go?"

"well, yeah!" she whimpered in defense of her irrationality, proceeding to sit up. "i didn't think you would want to go, considering you were just here, but i wanted to ask anyway if there's a chance you would?"

ricky shook his head in playful disappointment. "oh my. my almost girlfriend doesn't want me to go to prom with her. that one hurts."

"shut up!" nina tried to disguise her minimal laughter with defiance. "i didn't think you were into cheesy high school stuff like that! you're way beyond it all. besides, i'm sure you have shit to do."

"i don't care what i have to do," ricky asserted. "i'm taking you to prom, nini. give me ten minutes and i'll whip up a poorly illustrated promposal poster."

nina almost cringed at his reference to how teenagers typically asked one another to school dances. "you don't have to do that. in fact, don't you dare do that."

"what? i'm an artist."

nina rolled her eyes. "okay, so you'll come with me then?"

ricky smiled goofily. "of course i will be your date to the prom."

nina felt a blush coming on, so she was grateful for the small amount of light in her room at that moment. "oh!" ricky exclaimed as she laid back down. "wait, hear me out. let me bring my friends. i know they probably can't go to the dance and all, but what if we all got dressed up and took those classic prom pictures? i want your friends to meet them, too."

the girl listened intently as ricky continued hashing out a potential prom plan with infectious joy glimmering in his eyes and smile. he would never cease to amaze her. "would you like that?" was the thing she heard him say that snapped her out of her infatuated trance. "i mean, if it's too much, that's fine. it was just an idea."

"no, i want to. i mean, i like that," nina assured, ricky's happiness elevating. "i think that would be really fun."

"cool!" he cheered. "i'll ask the guys. when's the date?"

"last saturday of the month," nina answered.

"awesome," ricky grinned. "oh my god, i can't wait to see your dress."

nina let out an obnoxious laugh. "me too. once i find it."

ricky's expression softened. "whatever you wear will look absolutely stunning. guaranteed."

nina bit the inside of her cheek, heart fluttering to the point where she thought it would burst out of her chest. "you're cute, hollywood," she teased. "oh, by the way, ej wanted to know if somehow gina porter would go with his lame ass."

ricky's smile morphed into a smirk. he deviously nodded.

"that can be arranged."