Chapter 2

I walked to the place that was recommended to me and saw that the street had changed a great deal. What used to be dilapidated is now robust with hustle and bustle of the newest addition to the community. I walked around with my jaw on the floor as saw an eclectic group of individuals walked past me with their better halves in tow. I finally reached the cafe' and it was amazing. The walls were stacked with books. The cafe' had two tiers the bottom was an Internet cafe' but the top was for the bookworms. People strolled to the counter to get their coffee fix.
I sat on the bookworm section and a cheery chubby girl with bubble gum pink afro hair came with the menu. I chose the Nutella milkshake and told her I will decide the rest later. I asked what varieties of books do the Cafe' has to offer and she answered the entire spectrum of reading was here. I heard someone say there was a secret special. So I paid attention in the hopes of discovering this secret special of the day. I finally got it so I asked for it. It was spaghetti with salted fish eggs. It arrived a few minutes later with a mystery novel as an additional prize. The server was a young man with a haircut you normally see in the army. His face had a permanent scowl that made me want to run away. I thanked him and dove into the food. It was delectable, I should positively complement the cook for this delight. I had finished my meal and was reading the third chapter of the Lincoln Rhymes book when the sowl face came and asked me to leave. I paid him the bill and stalked out and the waitress with the pink afro gave me the book and told me it is a gift I should take home with me. I thanked her wholeheartedly.
As I walked home I heard footsteps behind me. I decided to hasten my speed so I can reach home safely and in the process, I slipped and fell. I looked at my hand as it healed rapidly. I looked up to see a stranger walk towards me calmly. He looked ordinary but the smell emanating from his body was unpleasant. I wanted to vomit but I held back my gag reflexes as I got up and ran towards the town hall. The man continued to follow me and he was always ten paces away no matter what I did. I finally decided to fight back and he waved his hand to block my assault. I managed to hit him and knock one of his teeth out. He looked at me with astonishment. "You managed to hit me? How is that possible? You are not an immortal. You are not one of the defenders. You are not a moonchild or a Nosferatu nor are you one of the children of Salem. Who are you? I thought you would be another faceless tourist who will end up on the news as suicide but I guess you are different." I smiled and lied, "I am a Nosferatu and I am going to kick your ass." I used the self-defense tactics that my uncle taught me when I hit puberty. He had to back away from me unable to block my attacks. Finally, he opened his mouth and said something that sounds like I am sorry. And he took two steps back to leap onto a broom and flew away.
I was as still as an ice sculpture for a few minutes as my brain processed the events of the past few minutes. The thoughts were interrupted by a horrible smell. The stench grew stronger and more disgusting than anything I smelled before. I saw a woman with dreadlocks walk towards me with a knife. She smiled, "No hard feelings dear but the council has chosen you as a sacrifice. I am simply complying with their wishes." I balled my fists to imitate a seasoned boxer. She looked at me with boredom and lunged at me. I jumped out of the way easily. She tried, again and again, each time she missed me by inches. She snarled at me and tried again. I simply snatched the knife from her hand and broke her arm in three places. I had the satisfaction of listening to her scream in pain. She stepped back on the verge of tears. "You are not a Vampire and yet you have their reflexes. You are not eighteen yet so they can't turn you into them yet because that is against the accords. I eavesdropped on the entire agreement between them. They are bound by those absolute laws of theirs." I told her to shut up and beat it. She summoned a huge wolf and asked it to slash me but I took the knife and plunged it into her heart. She gave a wail and turn into a pile of sand.
The wolf was about to lunge but it stopped itself. Suddenly, it transformed into a man. I took off my jacket and placed it on his waist. He was pleased to see me. I blushed as he gave me a dazzling smile. I heard a group of wolves calls and I was terrified as I saw more bear size wolves arrived. Behind them was the fur coat. He forgot to wear his mask. I finally saw his face. He came and picked up the guy who looked like his double. "William are you ok?" He smiled, "James I am fine. She killed the Swamp Queen. I felt the control she had on me disappear the moment she died." James turned to me with gratitude. He had fangs and violet eyes. "That's two I owe you. First for saving me when you were seven. You killed Gremlin prince when he tried to burn me. You cut the rope that was pulling a piano up to the fifth floor. He was crushed to death. He was weak because he hasn't fed in a few days. But still, you saved me. You took me to your treehouse and I rested till I healed. I watched as you brought me milk and cookies. You even bought me a bandaid thinking I need it. You smiled when you saw I was completely healed. Your mother called you and ran towards her forgetting that you were in the treehouse. You fell and broke your leg. I gave you my blood and watched as you healed. You saw my fangs and you kissed me. Most people would run but not you. Only people who are born to Vampires can gaze at us without fear." My watch buzzed and I realized that it was time for my meds. I politely backed away promising not to tell anyone that I saw the creatures of mythology. They smiled and nod their head. I reached the kitchen just in time. I injected insulin and waited for ten minutes before checking my sugar levels. It was normal. Thank God for that. I ran upstairs and changed my clothes. I fell backward till I hit the sheets. I was out for the count within minutes.
The next morning I came downstairs to see the twins from last night having coffee with Grandpa. Mr. Brown came barging in and I managed to block him from reaching the table. If he gets there he will stay there until the police come with the jaws of life. He started his usual absurdity. I told him to sell stupid somewhere else. He frowned at me and I told him if he comes here again I will call the police. He is a freeloader and that is all he is. He is just using this vampire story to keep us busy while he fills his stomach. The people behind me roared with laughter. Mr. Brown swore he will never come back. And I reminded him he will be back tomorrow and the day after that, it is his version of never. I saw him turn beet red before he stormed out. I reminded him that this is not his Grandma's house. Grandpa laughed as I walked towards the stove to poach the eggs. I sat down with steamed vegetables, beef sausages, poached eggs, and toast. I quietly ate as they watched me eat. Grandpa got up to wash his plate. I looked up to see the twins smiling at me. I blushed vermillion and continued to eat. I got up to clear the plates and they got up with me. Grandpa told me I was going to school in a few days so I should go and buy what I need. He gave me his credit card but I brushed it off. Mom had left me a small fortune so I was not entirely concerned about the expenses. I walked out they followed me. I walked towards the cemetery and they pulled me back. "The witches live there. We don't go there." I looked at them, "Is there something you want to tell me? You owe me an explanation." William smiled at me, "I am a moonchild, you would call me a werewolf and my twin is a Nosferatu, he is a vampire. We are the defenders of the earth. We protect humans from dark creatures that want to wipe out the world. We are one of few who protect the world that doesn't know we exist or the war we fight." I opened and closed my mouth like a fish out of water. "Why are you telling me this? How did I get mixed into this anyway? Why did that psycho say I was to be sacrificed because some council wants me to bleed." This infuriated the men and they stormed off without a word. I saw them an hour later walking out of the diner near my house. They saw me and came running. One moment I was standing in the middle of the road the next I was inside a mansion surrounded by men and women who were gazing at me curiously.
They convened a meeting in the adjacent room and I heard everything. An elderly man who sounded like a native American began, "She killed two of them she should join us." Another voice replied in an Irish accent, "But she drank from a Nosferatu so she can't join your clan. She has drunk so much of James' blood that she is slowly turning into a vampire without the need to bite her. Her body is trying to adjust to the change. She thinks she has diabetes. I am sure she can hear us. I observed that she already has the reflexes and the senses that we have." I looked around the room. I saw the spider in the corner spinning web. I saw it in high definition. I turned around to smell wet dogs before they walked in.
I listen closely, "If her transformation is consistent she will be a vampire a week from now. That is the day after her eighteenth birthday." I was alarmed.
I barged into the conversation. The woman with dark red hair in a plunging neckline sequin dress smiled, "I told you she can hear us. Dear have you decided which house you will go to. Are you going to choose James' house of Dragons or my house of Phoenix?" The Native American jumped up before I could open my mouth. "There has to be a way for her to be one of us. We the children of the moon need as many as we can get." James pursed his lips, "I have been feeding her my blood in excess since she was ten. There is no way for it can be reversed now. She has been chosen to be my wife since she saved me. The seer made it clear she is mine." The Indian chief made a face and sat down. I mumbled, "Dragon will be fine." The group got up and dispersed immediately. William came and apologized on behalf of the Lupine clan. Apparently, his son was murdered by the swamp queen. He made a promise to get his revenge but so far his plans have cost the lives of his tribe.
I walked towards James to give him a piece of my mind. He braced himself for the punch that never came his way. I just took his hand and walked towards the back garden. He smiled and followed obediently.